Video: Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries (CSCS) Announces Winners of the Third Annual Excellence in Governance Awards / Prix d'excellence en gouvernance
MONTRÉAL, Aug. 17, 2015 /CNW/ - The Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries ("CSCS") handed out the third annual Excellence in Governance Awards/Prix d'excellence en gouvernance at the opening gala of the CSCS' 17th Annual Corporate Governance Conference held at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montréal, Québec, on August 16, 2015.
The following winners were selected in these categories:
- Best sustainability, ethics and environmental governance program:
- Large-cap winner: Cameco Corporation
- Mid-cap winner: Tahoe Resources
- Honorable mention: Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- Best use of technology in governance, risk and compliance – Royal Bank of Canada
- Best approach to board and committee support:
- Winner: First West Credit Union
- Honorable Mention: University of Calgary
- Best stakeholder engagement by a governance team – Canadian Blood Services
- Best practices to enhance boardroom diversity:
- Winner: HSBC Bank Canada
- Honorable Mention: Greater Toronto Airports Authority
- Best practices in strategic planning, oversight and value creation by the board – ATB Financial
- Best overall corporate governance – Royal Bank of Canada
- CSCS Joyce Borden-Reed distinguished contribution award – Glenn G. Keeling
- CSCS Peter Dey governance achievement award – David R. Beatty, Conway Chair, Clarkson Centre for Board Effectiveness, Rotman School of Management.
The CSCS EG Awards recognize the important contribution governance professionals make in terms of best practices that build and sustain shareholder and stakeholder value. The awards underscore the critical role that good governance plays in sustaining the value of Canada's public companies, crown corporations, government agencies, and not-for-profit organizations, contributing to the competitiveness of Canada's economy and its capital markets.
The final award winners were selected by a jury panel composed of seasoned and well-respected governance experts from across Canada and include:
Geoffrey D. Creighton, President, In-House Counsel Worldwide
Gigi Dawe, Principal, Research Guidance and Support Leader, Corporate Oversight and Governance, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
Sylvia Groves, President and Creative Director, Governance Studio
Dr. Richard Leblanc, Associate Professor, Law, Governance and Ethics, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, York University
Carrie Mandel, Partner, Legal, Compliance and Regulatory Practice, Spencer Stuart
Paul Schneider, Head of Corporate Governance, Public Equities, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
Elizabeth Watson, QC, Founder and President, Watson Inc.
Brendan Sheehan, Managing Director, Corporate Governance, Rivel Research Group
Honorary judge, Peter Dey, Chairman, Paradigm Capital Inc.
The Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries is recognized as the most important organization for corporate governance professionals in Canada. CSCS strives to enhance the public's awareness of the importance of good governance and to be the voice of corporate governance professionals in Canada. The organization participates with other stakeholders, including capital markets participants, government bodies and regulators, in fostering a governance environment that sets Canada apart in the world. CSCS also supports its membership with continuing education and networking opportunities.
SOURCE Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries
Video with caption: "Video: Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries (CSCS) Announces Winners of the Third Annual Excellence in Governance Awards / Prix d'excellence en gouvernance". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20150817_C4594_VIDEO_EN_478873.mp4&posterurl=http%3a%2f%2fphotos.newswire.ca%2fimages%2f20150817_C4594_PHOTO_EN_478873.jpg&order=1&jdd=20150817&cnum=C4594
For further information: Lynn Beauregard, President, 21 St. Clair Avenue East, Suite 802, Toronto, ON M4T 1L9, Canada, Phone: 416-921-5449, Toll-free: 1-800-774-2850, Email: email@example.com, Website: http://www.cscs.org/EGA