$4.6-million investment will create jobs, expand research and foster innovation
CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI, Feb. 27, 2017 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada values the role of post-secondary institutions as they help equip young Canadians with the education and training they need for future careers that will help them join a strong, healthy middle class. Today, the Government of Canada is investing $2.3 million for a total combined investment of nearly $4.6 million in Holland College, which will help foster the training needed for the well-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
The funding was announced by the Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science—on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development—the Honourable Sonny Gallant, P.E.I. Minister of Workforce and Advanced Learning, and Sean Casey, Member of Parliament for Charlottetown.
Canada's Innovation Agenda aims to make this country a global centre for innovation—one that creates jobs, drives growth across all industries and improves the lives of all Canadians. This investment exemplifies that vision in action.
Holland College will use the funding to upgrade research and training space at its Prince of Wales campus in Charlottetown. This investment will improve specialized research and training space for 1,400 students enrolled in more than 30 programs designed to meet the needs of local industry. Upgrades will result in improved facilities for students and teachers as well as more efficient electrical and mechanical systems, which will make the 84-year-old campus more environmentally sustainable.
Funding for this $4.6-million project includes:
- $2.3 million from the Government of Canada; and
- $2.3 million from the Province of Prince Edward Island.
In total, universities and colleges throughout P.E.I. will receive close to $23.3 million from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors. Federal funding will be allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"These types of investments in Atlantic Canada will strengthen Canada's position as a leader in post-secondary research while providing students with the hands-on skills development they need for the good middle-class jobs of today. Through the Strategic Investment Fund, our government is demonstrating its support for science, hard-working researchers and the talented people they train who will become the scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs of the future."
– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science
"The Government of Prince Edward Island is pleased to contribute to the modernization and success of Holland College through the Strategic Investment Fund. This investment will deliver economic growth and prosperity for years to come by meeting the needs of industry and preparing our students to participate in the workforce and reach their potential."
– The Honourable Sonny Gallant, P.E.I. Minister of Workforce and Advanced Learning
"Holland College appreciates the continued support of our federal and provincial partners. This funding will enable Holland College to perform critical upgrades to the Charlottetown Centre, which will enhance our teaching and learning environments significantly, and improve the building's energy efficiency."
– Justin Dunn, Director, Facilities Management, Holland College
- The Government of Canada is providing $10.4 million for research infrastructure at institutions in Prince Edward Island. Holland College has been awarded $2.3 million in federal funding for its project.
- This investment supports Canada's Innovation Agenda, which is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
- In 2016 the Government of Canada and the governments of the four Atlantic provinces unveiled the Atlantic Growth Strategy, which aims to stimulate economic growth in the region by focusing joint federal-provincial efforts and resources on five areas of action: skilled workforce and immigration, innovation, clean growth and climate change, trade and investment, and infrastructure.
Follow Minister Bains and Minister Duncan on Twitter: @MinisterISED, @ScienceMin
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Pauline Tam, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, firstname.lastname@example.org