- Gift supports Toronto hospitals associated with U of T's Faculty of Medicine
- Donations will be granted to St. Michael's Hospital, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Sinai Health System, Hospital for Sick Children, CAMH, and Toronto Western Hospital and highlight Toronto as a global hub for medical research and patient care
TORONTO, Sept. 15, 2017 /CNW/ - BMO Financial Group today announced a $21 million gift to seven academic hospitals affiliated with the University of Toronto's Faculty of Medicine in support of advancing science, research and the enhancement of patient care.
The gift, to be granted over the next ten years, serves to highlight Toronto and Canada as a global hub and leading centre for medical research and healthcare, and will further the work of the following hospitals and research centres:
- Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH) – funds will support the naming of the new geriatric wing, BMO Financial Group Geriatric Ambulatory Services
- Hospital for Sick Children – BMO will become a founding partner in the establishment of the new Kids Health Alliance, a new technology platform bringing together community doctors, hospitals, and home and community healthcare providers throughout Ontario to deliver the highest possible form of extended care
- Princess Margaret Cancer Centre – funds will support the establishment of the BMO Financial Group Chair in Precision Genomics, a first of its kind
- St. Michael's Hospital – funds will be earmarked for the BMO Ambulatory Care Area in the new state-of-the-art Slaight Family Emergency Department
- Sinai Health System – funds will create a state-of-the-art Diabetes Complications Prevention Clinic and develop tailored, culturally-appropriate diabetes programming for First Nations communities
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre – funds will support a new prostate cancer centre that will be the home of a program built on three pillars: innovative research, leading-edge diagnosis and precision treatment
- Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network – funds have established the BMO Education & Conference Centre, where global healthcare professionals gather to share the latest in medical education and research innovation
"BMO is in the business of being change makers, enabling our community partners to prepare for the future today," said Bill Downe, Chief Executive Officer, BMO Financial Group. "This is the biggest philanthropic commitment in our company's 200 year history. It is truly transformative, and focuses on helping these seven global centres of excellence continue to push the boundaries of medical science."
"This level of private sector funding and support for these world-class hospitals is an example of what makes Toronto a leader in research and innovation," said Toronto Mayor John Tory. "We are proud to be home to a growing and diverse talent pool that will continue to elevate Toronto's standing as a global hub for medical research and patient care, and look forward to the benefits this announcement will have for patients and families in Toronto and abroad."
For 200 years, BMO Financial Group has believed in community reinvestment and corporate and social responsibility in the communities it serves. Last year, BMO contributed more than $57 million in community donations to charitable, not-for-profit and community-based institutions and organizations that help build and sustain resilient, vital and healthy communities.
About BMO Financial Group
Established in 1817, and currently marking its 200th year of operations, BMO Financial Group is a highly diversified financial services provider based in North America. With total assets of $709 billion as of July 31, 2017, and more than 45,000 employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
SOURCE BMO Financial Group
For further information: Media Contacts: Matthew Duffin, Toronto, email@example.com, (416) 867-3996; Michelle Agnelo, Toronto, firstname.lastname@example.org, (416) 867-3996; Web: www.bmo.com; Twitter: @BMOmedia