TORONTO, Sept. 8, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, Beck announced that it is fully committed to ensuring it meets the changing expectations of Toronto's taxi riders.
"While Beck strives to always provide our riders with a safe, reliable and seamless travel experience, we recognize that riders' needs are changing," said Kristine Hubbard, Operations Manager at Beck Taxi. "Beck is listening to Torontonians and is committed to evolving with their changing expectations. This includes offering new and innovative technology, exceptional customer service and advocating for a more reasonable fare price for riders."
As part of its mission to meet riders' changing expectations, Beck is advocating to City Hall for more affordable fares.
Taxi fares are regulated and set by the City of Toronto. To help encourage City Hall to make fares more affordable, Beck has launched an online petition for Torontonians to sign and demonstrate to councillors that riders support more reasonable and affordable fares. The petition can be viewed and signed by visiting http://get.yourbeck.ca/fares/
"Beck has listened to riders and fully agrees they should have access to more affordable fares that compete with alternative services," said Hubbard. "City Hall is currently reviewing ground transportation regulations and we'd like pricing to be a meaningful part of that discussion."
Beck is advocating for both the initial meter drop to decrease as well as the in-transit fares to be made more affordable. Currently, the City of Toronto has one of the most expensive meter rates in Canada and it mandates the following charges, which include harmonized sales tax:
- An initial meter drop of $4.25;
- Each 0.143 km or part thereof is 0.25 cents;
- Waiting time, while under engagement, for each 29 seconds is .25 cents; and
- Minimum parcel delivery is $10.00.
Beck believes that riders are using alternative for-hire vehicle services because they are cheaper, drawing riders away from licensed taxis. By improving the services it offers and offering more affordable fares, Beck can help encourage growth in its ridership and stay competitive while never compromising safety.
In addition to advocating for more reasonable and affordable fares, Beck is taking action to improve on the following:
- Beck app: Beck is launching new and improved features to make using its app even more of a seamless experience.
- Drivers: Beck is strengthening its driver-training program to ensure riders get the level of customer service they deserve from drivers. That means a polite driver who knows the city and has received sensitivity and service training.
- Beck cars: Beck will offer taxis that are clean, washed regularly and inspected multiple times a year by a licensed mechanic.
- Safety: Beck will continue to provide fully licensed and commercially insured cars and drivers. Safety has always been and will remain Beck's number one priority. Toronto Police Services will also continue to facilitate all background checks on drivers.
Beck is working together with City Hall to ensure Toronto's ground transportation regulations meet the changing needs and expectations of Toronto taxi riders. This means safe, effective and smart regulations that protect riders with licensed cars that are inspected and commercially insured and put riders' safety first by ensuring all drivers undergo proper training and receive background checks by Toronto Police Services. Beck will also keep Toronto's shared streets moving by taking into consideration transit and congestion.
To learn more about Beck's new plans to engage with its riders and meet their changing needs, visit www.yourbeck.ca.
Beck is a family-run business that has operated in Toronto for 49 years. Beck dispatches to the largest fleet of taxis in North America with over 2,000 available cars operated by professionally trained, licensed and commercially insured drivers. For the past 20 years, the organization has been the proud recipient of the Toronto Sun Reader's Choice Award for Favourite Taxi Company in Toronto.
Beck app features:
- In-app payment with credit card or PayPal
- Arrival times and distance away of ordered Beck
- New map view to track your Beck
- Estimated fare calculator when destination is entered
- 'Favourite' frequent pickup and drop off locations
- Email receipts when using in-app payment or PayPal
- Auto tip functionality
- Search function to locate addresses or nearby businesses
- 'Rate my Ride' feature to rate Beck experience
- Order up to 30 days in advance
- Entire system powered by the latest Google products
SOURCE Beck Taxi
Image with caption: "Beck Taxi logo (CNW Group/Beck Taxi)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150908_C6361_PHOTO_EN_491520.jpg
For further information: Media enquiries: Travis Kann, 416-660-5991, email@example.com