- Shulman to call play-by-play for upwards of 30 Blue Jays on Sportsnet broadcasts in 2016 & 2017 -
TORONTO, Nov. 19, 2015 /CNW/ - Sportsnet is welcoming a familiar voice to its Blue Jays broadcast team with the addition of one of baseball's most distinguished broadcasters, Dan Shulman. The award-winning Canadian broadcast veteran will call upwards of 30 Blue Jays games on Sportsnet for the 2016 and 2017 MLB seasons, working alongside the popular duo of Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler.
Shulman, a Toronto native, began his broadcast career at CKBB in Barrie in 1990, before moving to the FAN 1430 (now Sportsnet 590 The FAN) in 1991, where he hosted a number of shows, including Prime Time Sports. In addition to his work on Sportsnet's Blue Jays broadcasts this season, Shulman will also make appearances on Sportsnet's Blue Jays Central, Blue Jays Central at Noon, Tim & Sid and sportsnet.ca.
"Having hired Dan in 1995 for his first Blue Jays play-by-play role, it's great to have him back in the booth in Canada as part of our baseball broadcast team," said Scott Moore, President, Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers. "Following the unforgettable 2015 Blue Jays season, we can't wait for 2016 to go even bigger with our baseball coverage. There is no doubt that Dan is the ideal off-season acquisition to help us achieve this goal."
Shulman and Martinez called Blue Jays broadcasts together for seven years from 1995 to 2001, and will be reunited in 2016. Shulman, Martinez and Tabler will make up a three-man broadcast booth for select games.
"I'm thrilled to once again be calling Blue Jays games," said Shulman. "As someone who was born and raised and still lives in the GTA, the opportunity to come back home is very exciting for me. I'm looking forward to being part of the Sportsnet team, alongside Buck, Tabby and all the other great people on the crew."
"From his unforgettable voice to his breadth of knowledge and experience, a talent as big as Dan's doesn't come along very often," said Rob Corte, Vice President, Live Events and News Production, Sportsnet. "We are looking forward to having Dan join the already tremendous broadcast team of Buck and Pat – you couldn't ask for a stronger mix of broadcasters in the booth."
In addition to his role with the Blue Jays on Sportsnet's broadcast team, Shulman will continue his work with ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball and NCAA Men's College Basketball broadcasts.
Quick Facts - Dan Shulman
To view full bio, click here
- 2011 National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA) National Sportscaster of the Year recipient and two-time Sports Media Canada Broadcaster of the Year winner (2000, 2007)
- Began his broadcasting career CKBB in Barrie, ON in 1990
- Joined The FAN 1430 (now Sportsnet 590 The FAN) in Toronto in 1991, hosting a variety of shows including Prime Time Sports
- From 1993-95, he was a host at ESPN Radio
- Covered hockey as a part of the CTV broadcast team at the Lillehammer 1994 Olympic Winter Games. That same year, he also called the 1994 FIBA World Championship in Toronto
- From 1995 to 2001, Shulman called play-by-play for Toronto Blue Jays games on TSN alongside Buck Martinez. During this time, he also called NHL and NBA broadcasts for the network in addition to calling MLB and college basketball games for ESPN
- In 2001, Shulman joined ESPN full-time, becoming a central figure on the network's Wednesday Night Baseball, Monday Night Baseball, and for the last 5 seasons, Sunday Night Baseball broadcasts
- Has been a part of ESPN Radio's coverage of the MLB postseason for since 1999, including calling the last five World Series
The Canadian sports fan's destination for all things MLB, Sportsnet will broadcast all 162 regular season Toronto Blue Jays games in 2016. Sportsnet also provide coverage of the 2016 MLB All-Star Game, MLB Postseason and World Series.
Social Media Links
Official Website, Sportsnet sportsnet.ca
Like Sportsnet facebook.com/sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Twitter @Sportsnet
Follow Dan Shulman @DShulman_ESPN
Follow Sportsnet on Instagram @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet PR @SportsnetPR
Sportsnet connects Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes, using five platforms: TV, Radio, Print, Online and Mobile. Delivering storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level, the multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet magazine, Sportsnet Mobile and Sportsnet NOW. Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet World, and Sportsnet 360. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national broadcast rights holder, and is also the official regional television broadcast rights holder for the Calgary Flames (including radio rights on Sportsnet 960 The FAN), Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs (including radio rights on Sportsnet 590 The FAN), Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens. In addition, Sportsnet is also the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights holder of the CHL, including the Memorial Cup. Sportsnet is the Canadian leader in MLB television broadcasts and is home to all 162 Toronto Blue Jays games, plus MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Sportsnet also offers an exciting sports lineup including the NFL, Toronto Raptors, NBA, CIS Vanier Cup, Grand Slam of Curling, IndyCar, the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, and extensive soccer programming including Barclays Premier League, Bundesliga, CONCACAF and Canadian national team matches for men and women. Sportsnet Central is the network's news program, providing regional and national coverage of the day's events in the world of sports.
SOURCE Rogers Media
For further information: Media Contacts: Jennifer Neziol, firstname.lastname@example.org, (w) 416.764.6361, (m) 416.275.9182; Sebastian Gatica, email@example.com, (w) 416.764.6368, (m) 416.710.9953; Jennifer Cram, firstname.lastname@example.org, (w) 416.764.6364, (m) 416.804.1683; Meghann Cox, email@example.com, (w) 416.764.6362, (m) 416.258.3296