OTTAWA, Feb. 26, 2015 /CNW/ - The Canadian Paralympic Committee, in partnership with Petro-Canada, a Suncor business, is pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 2015 edition of Paralympic Schools Week, which will be held nation-wide from May 4 to 8, 2015.
All schools across Canada are invited to enter in to a draw to win one of 25 free Paralympic athlete presentations at their school. Meet Paralympic athletes, learn about their journeys in sport and see their medals up close!
This is a fantastic opportunity for teachers, students and communities to show support for Team Canada and get active in sport. The Parapan American Games take place from August 7 to 15, 2015.
To register, go to Paralympic.ca/schoolsweek.
Along with the chance for athlete visits, there are many additional ways for schools and students to get involved in the Paralympic spirit as part of Paralympic Schools Week, by:
- Trying out activities from CPC's Paralympic FUNdamental Physical Literacy Resource. Packed with easy-to-use activity plans, the resource is a great way to include kids of all abilities seamlessly into your programming;
- Participating in an exclusive LIVE CISCO Web Presentation on Tuesday, May 5 featuring Canadian Paralympic athletes who will deliver an inspiring and motivational presentation;
- Designing "Good Luck" post cards, posters and letters to encourage Team Canada athletes on their Road to Rio;
- Holding a "Wear Red and White Day" to show your support for Team Canada;
- Participating in the #CoinsForCanada fundraiser to support grants to local and provincial organizations for introductory parasport equipment such as sit-skis, wheelchairs and hand cycles;
- Creating your own video about parasport;
- Coming up with your own innovative ways to celebrate the Paralympic movement, parasport and our Team Canada athletes.
All schools that register will receive a complimentary Paralympic Schools Resource Pack which includes physical and digital resources, including prizes and links to online tools. Schools registered before March 27, 2015 will be entered into the draw to win one of 25 free athlete appearances to be held between May 4 and 8, 2015. Register at Paralympic.ca/schoolsweek.
"At Petro-Canada, we understand the importance of education and how knowledge can, in turn, foster an understanding of inclusion, reflection and inspiration," said Marc Goodman, Director, Loyalty and Marketing Partnerships, Suncor Energy Inc., proud owner of Petro-Canada.
"We hope teachers and students across the country will enjoy learning about the Paralympic Movement and our Canadian sports heroes through the Petro-Canada Paralympic Schools Week 2015 initiative. We know you will have fun doing it."
About the Canadian Paralympic Committee
The Canadian Paralympic Committee is a non-profit, private organization with 25 member sports organizations dedicated to strengthening the Paralympic Movement. The Canadian Paralympic Committee's vision is to be the world's leading Paralympic nation. Its mission is to lead the development of a sustainable Paralympic sport system in Canada to enable athletes to reach the podium at the Paralympic Games. By supporting Canadian high performance athletes with a disability and promoting their success, the Canadian Paralympic Committee inspires all Canadians with a disability to get involved in sport through programs delivered by its member organizations. For more information, visit www.paralympic.ca
SOURCE Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC)
For further information: Alison Korn,. Senior Manager, Media Relations and Communications, Canadian Paralympic Committee, Phone: 613-569-4333 ext. 243, Cell: 613-298-4927, email@example.com; Martin Richard, Executive Director, Communications and Marketing, Canadian Paralympic Committee, Tel: 613-569-4333 ext. 224, Cell: 613-725-4339, firstname.lastname@example.org; Follow the Canadian Paralympic Committee: www.paralympic.ca, www.facebook.com/CDNParalympics, www.twitter.com/CDNParalympics, www.youtube.com/CDNParalympics