New CDN$79 Kindle is small and light, with weeks of battery life, a 20 per cent faster processor, twice the storage, now with a touch interface and all-new Word Wise feature
Word Wise makes it even easier for readers learning English to understand challenging vocabulary
SEATTLE, Sept. 17, 2014 /CNW/ - (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today introduced the all-new CDN$79 Kindle in Canada—now with a 20 per cent faster processor, twice the storage, and now with a touch interface. Meet the new Kindle at www.amazon.ca/kindle.
"Our new Kindle is small and light, with weeks of battery life, a 20 per cent faster processor, twice the storage, and now with a touch interface—and we've added all of this while keeping the amazing $79 price point," said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Devices. "The new Kindle includes all the features readers love—Whispersync, books in 60 seconds, weeks of battery life—and adds the new exclusive feature Word Wise. It's never been a better time to be a reader."
The new Kindle is small, light, and portable—toss it in a beach bag or put it in a pocket to always have your reading with you. The new Kindle is great for anyone who's new to e-reading:
- Readers who haven't yet experienced an e-reader will be surprised by how easy it is to read on, with no glare even in bright sunlight, and weeks of battery life.
- Readers who have never tried eBooks will love enhanced reading features like instant dictionary look-up and adjustable font sizes.
- Parents will love that they can give their kids a purpose-built e-reader with an easy-to-navigate touch interface, plus great features that help kids learn like Word Wise—for just CDN$79.
Kindle features include:
- Word Wise—For readers learning English and kids learning to read, Word Wise makes it even easier to understand challenging vocabulary. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading without having to stop and look up a word. To learn more or to see the various meanings the same word can have in different contexts, just tap on the word to bring up a simple card with definitions, synonyms, and more. You can adjust the number of hints you see with a simple slider, dialing them up or down as you learn and grow.
- Enhanced Search—Makes it even easier to find what you are looking for by combining and previewing results from your Library and the Kindle Store on the same page.
- Weeks of Battery Life—Kindle e-readers have battery life that is measured in weeks, not hours.
- No set up required—Kindle arrives pre-registered so you can start reading immediately.
- Whispersync—Saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations across all of your devices and Kindle apps, so you can always pick up where you left off.
- Worry-Free Archive—Automatically backs up your Kindle books in the cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books—re-download your books wirelessly anytime for free.
- Smart Lookup—Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
- Time to Read—Tells you how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on your personalized reading speed.
- Kindle Page Flip—Skim page-by-page, scan by chapter, or jump to anywhere in your book all without losing your place.
- Vocabulary Builder—Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
- Facebook and Twitter—Share book recommendations, highlighted sections, and meaningful quotes with friends.
Word Wise and Enhanced Search will be delivered as part of a free, over-the-air software update starting later this fall. These features will also be available on Kindle Paperwhite.
World's Best E-Book Store
Kindle e-readers come with instant access to the Kindle Store, which includes:
- Massive selection—Millions of books including the latest best sellers, over 70,000 French-language titles, Kindle Singles, and more.
- Kindle exclusives—Hundreds of thousands of books are exclusive to the Kindle Store.
- Lowest book prices—Over a million titles are $3.99 or less, over 2 million are $9.99 or less.
The new Kindle is available for pre-order today for CDN$79 at www.amazon.ca/kindle and will start shipping October 2.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.
For further information: Andrew Gouveia, Sonic Boom, T 416-848-1385, firstname.lastname@example.org