Fluffy Unicorn 270g, front and back of label (CNW Group/Health Canada)
OTTAWA, July 14, 2017 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is advising Canadians that the unauthorized natural health product promoted as a workout supplement "Fluffy Unicorn" may pose serious health risks. Health Canada laboratory testing found that the product contains undeclared synephrine, and higher levels of caffeine than declared on the label. In combination these ingredients can pose serious health risks. Health Canada seized the product from Shop Santé Laval in Laval, Quebec (329 Saint-Martin Blvd. W.).
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used Fluffy Unicorn.
What consumers should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check whether products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
When combined, synephrine and caffeine can cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Synephrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause side effects ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized the unauthorized product from the retail location. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
For more information
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
To learn more about natural health products and other self-care products, visit Canada.ca/selfcare-products.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709