OTTAWA, Feb. 13, 2015 /CNW/ -
Two unauthorized health products (shown below) that may pose serious health risks were removed from sale by Health Canada. These products, "MRM DHEA" and "Altimate Fat Burner Maximum Burn" were being sold by Nature's Source, Unit #7, 2943 Major Mackenzie Drive, Vaughan, Ontario.
- MRM DHEA, 50 mg, 90 capsules (labelled to contain DHEA)
- Altimate Fat Burner Maximum Burn, 120 capsules (labelled to contain DHEA, Yohimbe, caffeine and ephedrine)
Who is affected:
Consumers who have bought or used "MRM DHEA" or "Altimate Fat Burner Maximum Burn".
What consumers should do
- Consult with your doctor if you have used these products and have health concerns.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Natural Product Number (NPN) or a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) on the label.
- Report any adverse events to Health Canada.
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada removed these products from sale from the Nature's Source retail location at Unit #7, 2943 Major Mackenzie Drive, Vaughan. Should additional retailers or distributors of this product be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
DHEA is a controlled drug that can cause higher than normal levels of female and male hormones in the body and could increase the risk of prostate, breast, ovarian, and other hormone-sensitive cancers. Potential side effects include serious cardiovascular disease, changes in fertility and sperm production. DHEA should be avoided by individuals with a history of abnormal heart rhythms, blood clotting disorders, liver disease and those who are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Yohimbine is a prescription drug and should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner. The use of drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women
Ephedrine and caffeine, when combined, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Ephedrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke. Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are among those particularly at risk.
How to report side effects to health products to Health Canada:
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
MRM DHEA (90 capsules)
Altimate Fat Burner Maximum Burn (120 capsules)
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
PDF available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2015/02/13/20150213_C4824_PDF_EN_12171.pdf
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709