Advisory - Buckley's syrups recalled due to potential choking hazard (CNW Group/Health Canada)
OTTAWA, March 9, 2017 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is advising Canadians that GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Consumer Healthcare Inc. has initiated a voluntary recall of certain Buckley's syrup products from stores. A defect with the plastic seal may cause it to fall into the bottle and present a potential choking hazard if swallowed. This seal is a circular plastic layer that is clear or semi-transparent and approximately 1.7 cm in diameter, pictured below.
The affected products are indicated for use by adults and children above 12 years old. Buckley's Jack and Jill children's syrup is not part of the recall as it uses a different seal.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used these products.
- Buckley's Complete, DIN 02279703, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Complete Mucus Relief, DIN 02357232, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Cough & Chest Congestion, DIN 02289164, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Cough Mucus & Phlegm, DIN 02346451, 150 & 250mL
- Buckley's Original Mixture, NPN 02239538, 100 & 200mL
- Buckley's Original Mixture Night Time, DIN 02230939, 100mL
What consumers should do
- According to GSK Consumer Healthcare Inc., consumers should follow the dosing instructions listed on the label. Do not drink directly from the bottle. Pour the syrup into a teaspoon and check for the plastic seal before consuming.
- Consult with your health care professional if you have used these products and have health concerns.
- Contact GSK Consumer Relations at 1-800-250-8866 if you have questions about this recall.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada is monitoring the company's recall. If new safety information is identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
For more information
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
To learn more about natural health products and other self-care products, visit Canada.ca/selfcare-products.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709