Company and employees continue to support drivers and the community both on and off the highway
407 ETR is a Proud Supporter of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017
TORONTO, Sept. 13, 2017 /CNW/ - 407 ETR has announced the official opening of 21 new kilometres between Highway 427 and Highway 410. New lanes are now officially open.
The new lanes in this busy area of the 108 km Highway 407 ETR will keep drivers moving at a fast, safe and reliable speed on the world's first all-electronic, open-access toll highway.
As with all 407 ETR highway construction projects, the new lanes underwent various inspections and audits to ensure compliance with Ontario Ministry of Transportation standards.
407 International Inc., the parent company of 407 ETR, announced record traffic in 2016. The opening of these new lanes demonstrates 407 ETR's ongoing commitment to excellence in highway construction and maintenance, traffic management and customer service. Over 80% of all trips taken on Highway 407 ETR are by customers that save money by using a 407 ETR transponder. In addition, over half of customers surveyed last year said they saved between 20 and 60 minutes per trip on Highway 407 ETR.
"The company continues to take enormous pride in the excellent quality of the roadway," said Andres Sacristan, President and Chief Executive Officer, 407 ETR. "We will continue to widen the highway to help ensure drivers enjoy the time and money savings they have come to value by using Highway 407 ETR."
While the initial concession lease payment to the Government of Ontario in 1999 was $3.1 billion, 407 ETR has since invested an additional $1.6 billion to both extend and expand the highway. Highway 407 ETR was extended to the east and west in 2001 (40 kilometres) followed by a number of highway widening projects to meet traffic demand - bringing the total number of new lane-kilometres added since 2004 to over 230.
The cost of all highway extensions and expansions, along with the cost of maintaining the roadway, snow-clearing, safety patrols, policing and Ontario Ministry of Transportation Enforcement, is paid by 407 ETR without the use of any government funds. As an open access, all-electronic toll highway, drivers do not stop when entering or exiting the highway. In support of this open access model, customers are given several convenient payment options, such as pre-authorized payment and paperless billing, which help ensure their account remains up-to-date and free of any unnecessary interest or fees.
While hard work was taking place to ensure the new highway infrastructure was ready for a timely opening, 407 ETR employees, supported by the company, continued to demonstrate their support for the communities the company serves. 407 ETR continues to support many area hospitals, rehabilitation centres, children and youth sports teams across the highway. In addition, 407 ETR supports the United Way of Toronto and York Region, post-secondary education, Canadian veterans and their families, driver safety and education programs, various anti-drinking and driving advocates and vital research into childhood cancers.
"The teams from 407 ETR did a great job this year through the new 407 For Our Communities – One Big Day event, where everyone demonstrated our strong commitment to the communities we serve," said Mr. Sacristan.
As part of 407 For Our Communities, employees participated in many community and charitable activities including:
- Local food banks, shelters and senior's homes as part of 407 For Our Communities – One Big Day event
- Raising money for research into children's cancers and the SickKids hospital through the Heat Wave Volleyball competition
- Filling and distributing Back-To-School backpacks for a specific community
- Planting trees and restoring natural areas as part the company's partnership with Evergreen
- Lymphoma Canada and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Canada events
In addition, 407 ETR has announced it is a Proud Supporter of the Invictus Games Toronto 2017, which runs from September 23 to 30, during which 550 competitors from 17 nations will have 8 days of fierce competition. This event, established by His Royal Highness Prince Harry of Wales in 2014, will be one of 2017's biggest sporting events in the world and is fitting that it will take place in Toronto shortly after Canada celebrated its 150th anniversary. Invictus staff travelling in vehicles that have had their licence plate provided to 407 ETR by Invictus Games will travel 407 ETR for free during the Games to ensure they get to and from events in true 407 ETR fashion – fast, safe & reliable.
407 International Inc. is owned by Cintra Infraestructuras S.A., a wholly owned subsidiary of Ferrovial S.A. (43.23%), by indirectly owned subsidiaries of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (total 40%), and by SNC-Lavalin (16.77%).
- Average daily workday trips have increased from 237,000 in 1999, to over 408,000 in 2016.
- Total annual trips have increased from 71.9 million in 1999, to over 124 million in 2016.
- The number of transponders in circulation has increased from 346,371 with a user rate of 67% in 1999, to over 1,342,000 and a user rate of over 80% in 2016.
- Total vehicle kilometres travelled per year has increased from 1.275 billion in 1999, to 2.640 billion in 2016.
- The number and length of trips taken on 407 ETR and increased usage of transponders has happened alongside growth in development, extension of the highway in both the east and west, and the widening of 407 ETR by adding new lanes (over 230 lane kilometres since 2004).
- Extensions and expansions have been possible through 407 ETR investments of over $1.6 billion to keep traffic free flowing.
- Investments in safety initiatives, both on and off the road, have continued to provide customers a fast, safe and reliable trip. Safety events and sponsorships continue to demonstrate 407 ETR's commitment to its customers.
- The company, along with its employees continue to support hospitals along the corridor, the United Way and participate in Environmental Stewardship opportunities by helping to plant trees and conserve sensitive lands.
- 24/7 monitoring of the highway and conditions from 407 ETR's control room keep the highway safe and free-flowing – safety patrollers can assist drivers and call for emergency responders when needed.
- 407 ETR is barrier free – with no congestion-causing toll plazas.
- 407 ETR is the winner of multiple Service Quality Measurement Group awards for Call Centre Excellence and Leadership, including, First Call Resolution (the industry's most vital indicator), and Best Practices. The 407 ETR Call Centre regularly has a large group of certified World Class Customer Service Representatives.
- Customers have many account options such as paperless billing and pre-authorized payment.
- 407 ETR continues to appreciate customer loyalty and has offered more than $140 million to customers as part of its "ETR Rewards" customer loyalty program.
- In addition to several national and international awards, 407 ETR was awarded the Intelligent Transportation Systems Society of Canada first-ever New Canadian Commercial Technology/Innovation or Research and Development Award for its vehicle fingerprinting system.
- The Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators recently recognized the Highway 407 Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Detachment with a Police Partnership Award for the achievements of the Highway Safety and Toll Compliance Committee. 407 ETR, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, and other Regional and Municipal partners work together with the OPP on the Committee to support many aspects of road safety and related research.
SOURCE 407 ETR Concession Company Limited
For further information: Kevin Sack, Vice President Communications and Government Relations, Phone 905-264-5374, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org