THORNHILL, ON, April 22 /CNW/ - It's easy to be an eco-friendly driver on Earth Day and every day. Mark the 40th anniversary of Earth Day by making simple changes to the way you drive. "The small choices each person makes to be a greener driver can really add up," said Silvana Aceto, spokesperson for CAA SCO. "By following these green driving tips you can reduce your environmental impact and save money."
CAA's top ten eco-driving tips:
1. Remove excess weight such as roof racks and unnecessary items in your
2. Avoid idling - 10 seconds of idling uses more fuel than turning off
and restarting the engine
3. Use air conditioning and seat heaters sparingly
4. Plan and combine your trips to save time as well as fuel
5. Close your windows and sun roof during highway driving
6. Reduce your highway speed - fuel consumption starts to increase above
7. Service your vehicle regularly
8. Keep your tires properly inflated
9. Avoid jack rabbit starts and hard braking
10. Consider taking public transit, car pooling, walking or riding your
bike to work just one day a week
When replacing your car battery, choose CAA's Green Power Batteries, which are made from both recycled lead and plastic. Your old battery will also be recycled safely at any CAA Car Care Centre.
If it's time for an oil change think Safety-Kleen's EcoPower, a recycled and re-refined oil, which is used in CAA fleet trucks.
Meanwhile, CAA's Autogreen program has already collected 1.8 million litres of oil to be re-refined. This saves 5,800 tonnes of green house gases from being released into our air. The goal for Autogreen, in partnership with Trees Ontario, is to plant 20,000 trees, which is equal to approximately 260,000 pounds of carbon offset.
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering insurance, travel, automotive care and roadside services. There are more than 1.8 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and 5 million members in Canada. Visit www.caasco.com.
Follow CAA on Twitter @caasco for regular updates on wait times and other news and information.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: For further information: Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Specialist, CAA SCO, 60 Commerce Valley Drive East, Thornhill, ON, L3T 7P9, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930