THORNHILL, ON, Sept. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - First-time snowbirds eager to head south this year are already dreaming about trading in their snow shovels for golf clubs.
But before snowbirds start packing up their cars, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding the sunseekers that choosing a destination is only one part of the planning process.
Six things to do before you leave:
- Make sure your driver's license, health card and passport are up to date and do not expire while you are away. Passport photos can be taken at a nearby CAA Store.
- Get your vehicle ready for the road trip. Top up your fluids, test your battery and check your tire pressure, hoses and belts.
- Determine your destination and plan your route before you leave. Bring a map as a back-up to your GPS. CAA offers maps and customized TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely.
- Pack travel insurance because an unforeseen medical emergency can happen when you least expect it.
- Leave a detailed travel itinerary at home.
- Check the weather forecast.
Four things to do while on the road:
- Stop regularly at service stations and stretch your legs. If possible, take turns driving.
- Touch base with family and friends to let them know where you are and when you will arrive at your destination.
- Carry cash with you in case debit and credit cards are not accepted.
- Keep your CAA membership card handy.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.