CALGARY, Sept. 15, 2014 /CNW/ - St. Mina Coptic Orthodox Church of Calgary is proud to announce the visit of His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, 118th Pope of Alexandria and the See of St. Mark. His Holiness Pope Tawadros II is visiting Calgary during his 30-day tour of Canada on Wednesday, September 17th.
The Pope has been travelling coast-to-coast, visiting more than 54 Coptic Orthodox churches in Canada. This comes at a time when the Copt's are celebrating the Coptic New year which is known as "Nayrouz".
"It is the first time our Pope and Patriarch is visiting Calgary. During this exciting time, he'll be consecrating our new Church, built in 2011." said Sherif Gemayel, Chair of the organizing committee in Calgary. "This visit marks a historic moment for the community; which was much needed after our church was expropriated in 2008 to make way for the west LRT."
"His Holiness is visiting one of the most vibrant Coptic Communities in the world, here in Canada. Canada's growing Coptic Christian Community has been a model of successful integration and reflects the very best of our country's pluralism. We are deeply honoured that His Holiness has dedicated a full month to visit communities across our great country, and I look forward to discussing matters of shared concern with him, including the plight of persecuted faith communities throughout the Middle East." said Minister for Multiculturalism, Jason Kenney
Pope Tawadros will be leading the formal consecration of the Church as well as a liturgy service. The service will be attended by many members of our local Government including MLA's, Councilors from the MD of Rockyview, as well as representatives from the Calgary Police Department and Calgary Fire Department.
Facts About The Coptic Church in Canada
- Canada's first Coptic Orthodox Church was founded in November 1964 in Toronto, ON.
- Copts are among the oldest Christian Communities in the world, having preserved their traditions for nearly two millennia in Egypt.
- Canada is home to some 50,000 Coptic Orthodox Christians
- In March 2013, Pope Tawadros II appointed Canada's first Coptic bishop, Bishop Mina
- Minister Kenney attended the Enthronement of His Holiness in Cairo, Egypt in November 2012 on behalf of the Government of Canada.
SOURCE: Rogers Insurance Ltd.
For further information: Sherif Gemayel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 403-479-1913, www.stminacalgary.ca