Audio: Wolfgang Blass AM, Founder Wolf Blass Wines turns 80, marks occasion with new vintage to be unveiled in Canada and Canadian tour.
Limited Edition Wine 'The Master' to be unveiled by Founder on Canadian tour in October
TORONTO, Sept. 2, 2014 /CNW/ - Wolfgang Blass AM - one of Australia's most iconic and influential wine industry figures - turns 80 years old today, the 2nd September 2014 and is gearing up to return to Canada, one of the most successful markets for Wolf Blass Wines, with a rare new offering.
To officially mark this momentous occasion, the Wolf Blass winemaking team created an extraordinary, limited edition wine 'The Master', made in the style of Wolfgang's first, industry changing, Cabernet Shiraz blend. Wolf Blass 'The Master' Langhorne Creek Pasquin Vineyard Cabernet Shiraz 2012 comes beautifully presented in a special leather gift box. This wine will be featured at exclusive events - one presented by VINTAGES in Toronto on October 22nd - and launched across Canada by the founder during his Canadian tour from October 21-30, 2014.
German-born Blass established Wolf Blass Wines in 1966 in a humble tin shed making small parcels of his own wine, blending grape varieties – a revolutionary approach in Australia at the time. He wanted to develop a red wine style that was 'different', more 'approachable', 'softer' and 'immediately drinkable', particularly women, and this was where his award winning formula of 70% cabernet/30% shiraz was born. Wolf's wines achieved global success and continue to be one of the most popular wine brands sold in Canada today.
Wolf Blass Facts
- From his challenging childhood in war-time Germany through to founding one of Australia's most successful wine brands, Wolfgang (Wolf) Blass embodies the ultimate immigrant success story. Today, Wolf actively gives back to the wine industry, including in Canada where the recently announced 'Wolfgang Blass' scholarship, gives Canadian sommeliers the opportunity to pursue advanced certificates through the Court of Master Sommeliers.
- Once famously proclaiming that "my wines are sexy - they make weak men strong and strong women weak," Wolf is a true marketing maverick – well before his time. In the early days of building his brand, favourite publicity tricks included driving through the Barossa in an open top car pouring his wines for the punters passing by; lavish parties at his home and having his name repeatedly paged in airports just so that everyone knew he was there. Wolf Blass was instrumental in actively promoting medal wins on his wine bottles – something that is commonplace in the industry today.
- Since Wolf Blass launched it has earned more than 3,000 medals and trophies at international and national shows, including taking 'Winery of the Year' title at Canada's 2013 Intervin wine competition.
- In 2001 Wolfgang was appointed as a member in the Order of Australia for "service to the development of the Australian wine industry". He also holds the equivalent in Germany.
- Today, roughly 60 million bottles bear the Wolf Blass name each year. Second to only the UK, Canada remains among the most popular markets for Wolf Blass wines outside of Australia.
NOTE TO EDITORS
ABOUT WOLF BLASS WINES
Wolf Blass was established in the Barossa Valley in 1966 and has grown from a humble tin shed to become one of the worlds most successful and awarded wine brands. A recipient of more than 3,000 medals and trophies at national and international wine shows, the essence of Wolf Blass wines is exemplified through the passion of its custodians past and present as they continuously strive to produce wines of quality, character and consistency. Visit www.wolfblasswines.com.au
ABOUT WOLFGANG BLASS AM
Wolfgang Franz Otto Blass was born in 1934 in what used to be East Germany. Moving to Australia in 1961, Wolf first settled in the Barossa Valley. His initial role was with Kaiser Stuhl, and after becoming Australia's first consultant winemaker he quickly developed the reputation as the 'golden boy' of the wine industry. Wolf concentrated on production of red table wines, making it his personal mission to change this trend. Not constrained by tradition, he was revolutionary in using new winemaking and marketing techniques
Image with caption: "Wolf Blass Wines (CNW Group/Treasury Wine Estates)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140902_C3847_PHOTO_EN_5276.jpg
Audio with caption: "Audio: Wolfgang Blass AM, Founder Wolf Blass Wines turns 80, marks occasion with new vintage to be unveiled in Canada and Canadian tour.". Audio available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2014/09/02/20140902_C3847_AUDIO_EN_5277.mp3
SOURCE: Treasury Wine Estates
For further information: Gabby Nobrega, email@example.com, 416-930-9756 (cell)