OTTAWA, Aug. 22, 2016 /CNW/ - More than 1,800 Unifor members representing Locals from across the country have registered for the second Unifor Convention, August 22 - 26, 2016, at the Shaw Centre, 55 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa.
Along with discussing and debating an action plan for the union's next three years, delegates will hear from several keynote speakers including: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and the Premier of Alberta Rachel Notley, among many others.
Media must register in advance at www.unifor.org/mediaregistration. Accreditation deadline to cover Prime Minister Trudeau and Premier Notley is Monday, August 22 by 4:00 p.m.
Agenda for Wednesday August 24:
- 9:30 a.m. Presentation of Neil Reimer Social Activist of the Year Award to Dr. Cindy Blackstock, including speech.
- 10:00 a.m. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to address Convention.
NOTE: All media equipment must be in place between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m.
- 11:00 a.m. Presentation of Nelson Mandela Award for Human Rights to Senator Murray Sinclair, including speech.
- 11:30 a.m. Aboriginal leaders will lead Unifor members from the Shaw Centre to Parliament Hill in support of the full implementation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission recommendations. The march will conclude with a rally on Parliament Hill with Unifor National President Jerry Dias, Ontario Regional Chief Isadore Day, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett and Inuk musician and Juno award winner Susan Aglukark.
- 2:30 p.m. Premier Rachel Notley to address Convention.
To review a full copy of the Convention agenda please visit www.unifor.org/convention2016. For live updates follow the hashtag #Unifor2016 on Twitter or @UnifortheUnion.
Unifor, founded on Labour Day of 2013, is Canada's largest union in the private sector, representing more than 310,000 workers in every sector of the economy. It was formed Labour Day weekend 2013 when the Canadian Auto Workers and the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers unions merged.
For further information: Unifor Communications National Representative Kathleen O'Keefe at Kathleen.OKeefe@unifor.org or 416-896-3303 (cell)