AJAX, ON, March 19, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, today underscored the importance of women entrepreneurs to Canada's economic growth and competitiveness at the third annual Connect Women event sponsored by the Whitby Chamber of Commerce. The Minister highlighted Harper Government measures to help women succeed in business and leadership roles, including a new initiative, announced in Economic Action Plan 2014, to increase mentorship among women entrepreneurs.
- RBC Economics reports that, in 2011, majority-owned women's businesses contributed an estimated $148 billion to the Canadian economy.
- As of 2011, 15.6% of small and medium sized businesses in Canada were majority-owned by women.
- Women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians, according to the BMO Financial Group.
- Through Economic Action Plan 2014, the Harper Government will be taking steps to increase mentorship among women entrepreneurs. As part of the initiative, the Minister of Status of Women will consult on how to increase the number of women entering into and succeeding in business.
- Since 2007, the Harper Government through Status of Women Canada has delivered more than $53 million in funding for projects that specifically focus on improving women's economic security and prosperity. This includes more than $9 million for projects which aid and support women's entrepreneurship. In addition, more than $21 million has been provided for projects that promote women in leadership and democratic decision-making roles.
"Women entrepreneurs are creative and innovative individuals who are contributing to the growth and competitiveness of the Canadian economy each and every day. We are all far better off when the talents and skills of women and girls are fully represented in every sector of society, from the shop floor to the corporate boardroom."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Barbara Mottram, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810