RICHMOND HILL, ON and VAUGHAN, ON, July 17, 2017 /CNW/ - On July 8, Mackenzie Health launched a new electronic medical record (EMR) that transforms the way care is delivered in this community. Implemented in collaboration with Epic, the software is the first full-suite Epic EMR to be installed in a Canadian hospital. A state-of-the-art system, the EMR makes it possible for the care team to spend more time with patients, provides physicians with exactly what they need to make important health care decisions quicker and empowers patients with easy access to their health records.
For patients, the new EMR brings a number of benefits, including a faster and more efficient registration process. Similar to the airport check-in process, patients who have scheduled appointments at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital can now swipe their health card on a Self-Serve Registration Kiosk, follow the simple instructions on screen, get an armband from a Patient Assistance representative and proceed to their appointment.
Registration for an appointment is even faster for patients who completed E Check-In through Mackenzie Health's new and improved MyChart. If patients are signed up for MyChart, they can register for their appointment up to seven days prior to their appointment and receive a barcode that they can scan at the hospital to indicate that they have arrived, get an armband and proceed to their appointment. MyChart is also available as an app.
In MyChart, patients can see their personal health information, view and cancel appointments and, in select areas, communicate with their care provider via written message. The patients' health record is also available to all those involved in their care, meaning that the entire care team has access to the same information and patients spend less time repeating questions or duplicating tests.
With computers available by the patients' bedside, nurses and physicians can document the care in real-time, as well as send orders directly to lab and pharmacy. The new EMR also increases medication safety and reduces the chance for errors with closed loop medication administration and bar code validation at patient's bedside.
Epic, the software developer for the system, is recognized as a world leader in medical records and information technology which has implemented its systems in thousands of hospitals worldwide and will be implementing them in several Canadian hospitals over the next few years.
"Our vision at Mackenzie Health is to create a world-class health experience for our patients and families, and ensure they receive the highest quality care possible. The implementation of the new electronic medical record supports this vision and will influence how we care for our patients here at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, as well as the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital and at the health system level."
Altaf Stationwala, President and CEO, Mackenzie Health
"The launch of the new electronic medical record is one of the largest transformational projects in Mackenzie Health's history and puts us at the forefront of care delivery. Over the past two years, our staff, physicians and volunteers have been working together as a team to ensure this journey is a success, and we are proud to be the first hospital in Canada to implement the end-to-end Epic system."
Dr. Steven Jackson, Chief of Staff, Mackenzie Health
"As Epic's first enterprise community member in Canada, Mackenzie Health continues their commitment to delivering high quality, compassionate and timely care with this milestone. Through these new tools and resources, Mackenzie Health can now expand their ability to provide patient-centered and community-based medicine for York Region and beyond. We look forward to a long and successful relationship as we work toward our shared goal of helping people get well, helping people stay well, and helping future generations be healthier."
Judy Faulkner, CEO, Epic
Quick Facts at a Glance:
Electronic Medical Record Implementation
- The journey to the new EMR was a two-year process that involved significant software build, consultation with Mackenzie Health staff and physicians, testing and education.
- Two weeks prior to the launch, over 100 Mackenzie Health staff transitioned over 15,000 scheduled appointments, including for X-Rays, MRIs and other medical imaging tests, dialysis and cardio-vascular rehabilitation, into the new Epic EMR.
- Over 1,500 scheduled surgeries and ambulatory procedures were also converted from the legacy system to the new Epic EMR. More than 50 trained secretaries from physicians' offices spent over four days to converting the appointments. With this transition, physician offices can now manage their provincial wait times and their procedure schedules in one place.
- In preparation for the EMR launch, a multidisciplinary team involving registration, nursing, pharmacists and more made sure all admitted patients were captured within Epic on July 7. This enabled the team to continue to provide the best care once the new EMR was launched on July 8. The process involved more than 70 people working together for over 20 hours.
- To ensure staff, physicians and volunteers are well supported during the transition, a technical Command Centre staffed by approximately 90 staff members and an Operations Support Centre that oversaw clinical operations and coordinated the 265 additional support staff deployed across the organization, all working 24/7, have been instrumental for the go-live.
For more information, please visit www.mackenziehealth.ca/emr.
- Mackenzie Health is a dynamic regional health care provider which includes the existing Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and the future Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, as well as a comprehensive network of community-based services.
- In March 2017, the organization received its second consecutive award of Accreditation with Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada for its commitment to safety and quality patient care. This is the highest rating a Canadian health care provider can receive and we are proud to have earned this mark of excellence once again.
- Guided by a vision to create a world-class health experience, Mackenzie Health has an unrelenting focus on the patient and is dedicated to patient needs now and in the future.
- With over 500,000 residents in Southwest York Region, Mackenzie Health is proud to serve one of the fastest growing and most diverse communities in Canada.
- The groundbreaking for the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital was held on October 25, 2016.
For more information, please visit www.mackenziehealth.ca.
- In January, Epic was named the #1 Overall Software Suite in the 2017 Best in KLAS: Software and Services report, for the seventh consecutive year. KLAS is an independent company that surveys users to help hospitals make informed decisions.
- Over 187 million Americans, close to 58% of the population, are covered by Epic.
- Learn more about the Epic community: http://www.epic.com/community
- Epic currently exchanges 1.6 million records per day. Nobody exchanges more charts for care transitions than Epic users. More info on Epic interoperability: http://www.epic.com/software#Interoperability
SOURCE Mackenzie Health
For further information: Catalina Guran, Communications and Public Affairs Consultant, Mackenzie Health, Tel: (905) 883-1212 ext. 7490, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
no web site