KING CITY, ON, Aug. 8, 2016 /CNW/ - Seneca College and Infrastructure Ontario (IO) have awarded a fixed-price contract to EllisDon Corporation to design, build and finance Seneca College's King Campus Expansion.
The contract between EllisDon Corporation and Seneca College is for $70.9 million. Payment will be made by the Province and Seneca College at substantial completion in spring 2018 to ensure the project is delivered on time and on budget.
The consortium members include: EllisDon Corporation (Developer); EllisDon Design Build Inc. (Construction); MJM Architects and Montgomery Sisam Architects Inc. (Architects); and EllisDon Capital Inc. (Financial Advisor). The selection of the successful team is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process that began in April 2014. Throughout its submission, EllisDon Corporation demonstrated a clear understanding of the design and construction needs of a postsecondary education facility.
Key highlights of the 200,000 square foot expansion includes:
- 25 new classrooms, computer labs, specialty labs for training health-care practitioners, a library, learning commons and student study space
- A new student area with a multi-purpose athletic and recreation space, gymnasium, fitness centre, informal study areas and event spaces, partially funded by the Seneca Student Federation and the Student Athletics Association.
- The project will target LEED Gold in the Canada Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED®) rating system.
- IO and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development are working with Seneca to deliver the King Campus Expansion project.
- Seneca's King Campus is home to approximately 3,500 full-time students. Once this expansion is complete, the King Campus will provide teaching and learning opportunities for approximately 5,000 full-time students.
- IO is delivering this project through its Alternative Financing and Procurement model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as hospitals, schools, roads, bridges and transit. Since 2015, the province has announced support for more than 475 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life. To learn more about infrastructure projects in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Deb Matthews, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development
"Our government is proud to support Seneca College's expansion, which will give students access to the innovative programs and additional student services they need to prepare for successful careers. We know that providing access to high-quality education and training facilities is critical to building the skilled workforce we need to support good jobs and economic growth for today and tomorrow."
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
"Investing in infrastructure projects like the Seneca King Campus expansion is a critical component in building the province up. By supporting advanced education, we are helping students reach their potential, and fostering the growth of talented Ontarians."
Dr. Helena Jaczek, M.P.P. Oak Ridges-Markham
"I am delighted that the Seneca King campus expansion is one step closer to completion. As a result of our government's investment in post-secondary education, our community will soon have access to new facilities with a range of new programs and spaces."
David Agnew, President, Seneca College
"This is an exciting time in Seneca's history as we mark the beginning of the construction of our beautiful new campus building at King. We look forward to working with EllisDon and its partners as we expand our facilities for the growing number of students and programs that are meeting the needs of employers and the community."
Bert Clark, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
"IO's competitive AFP procurement process resulted in a great design and bid from the successful proponent team. We look forward to supporting Seneca as construction of the King Campus expansion project begins."
Disponible en français
SOURCE Infrastructure Ontario
Image with caption: "The Seneca College King Campus Expansion project is a 200,000 square foot facility that will provide new classrooms and amenity spaces to the campus in 2018. (CNW Group/Infrastructure Ontario)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160808_C6308_PHOTO_EN_749075.jpg
For further information: Media Contacts: Lisa DiMenna, Infrastructure Ontario, 416-326-9378; Lisa Pires, Seneca College, 416-938-9219