Investment will create jobs, expand research and foster innovation
BARRIE, ON, Jan. 9, 2017 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada values the role of post-secondary institutions as they help equip young Canadians with the education and training they need for future careers that will help them join a strong, healthy middle class. Today, the Government of Canada is investing $10.79 million for a total combined investment of nearly $30 million to Georgian College that will help foster the training needed for the well-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
The funding was announced by the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Ann Hoggarth, MPP for Barrie.
Canada's Innovation Agenda aims to make this country a global centre for innovation—one that creates jobs, drives growth across all industries and improves the lives of all Canadians. This investment exemplifies that vision in action.
Georgian College will use the funding for the construction of its new Advanced Technology, Innovation and Research Centre. The centre will include commercialization and research labs, collaboration space, and space for applied research where local industry and other partners can work with students and staff from the college. The new building will be carbon neutral and LEED-certified.
- $10.79 million will be provided by the Government of Canada;
- $1.8 million will be provided by the Province of Ontario;
- an additional $7 million will be provided by Georgian College; and
- up to $10 million will be jointly provided by the City of Barrie and Simcoe County.
In total, universities and colleges throughout Ontario will receive more than $1.9 billion from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors. Federal funding will be allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"Our government is proud to support this important project, which will give Georgian College students access to renewed and upgraded facilities at the Advanced Technology, Innovation and Research Centre. We know that providing access to high-quality education and training facilities is critical to building the highly skilled workforce we need to support good jobs and economic growth for today and tomorrow, and this investment will help us to do it."
– Ann Hoggarth, MPP for Barrie
"The new Advanced Technology, Innovation and Research Centre will be a game changer—an inspirational home for diploma and degree studies as well as a boost for our local economy. When people think of Georgian College, they first think of students, and we are proud of that. This new building reinforces that Georgian is a resource for business and industry. This innovation and research centre will be a catalyst for change and help to build the future of our communities for decades to come."
– Dr. MaryLynn West-Moynes, President and CEO, Georgian College
- The Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario are providing more than $950 million for research infrastructure at institutions across Ontario. Georgian College has been awarded $10.79 million by the Government of Canada.
- This investment supports Canada's Innovation Agenda, which is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
Follow Minister Bains on social media.
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Philip Proulx, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, firstname.lastname@example.org; Allison Buchan-Terrell, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, 416-314-5475; Tanya Blazina, Communications Branch, Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, 416-325-2746, Tanya.Blazina@ontario.ca