TORONTO, Sept. 20, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada is proud to support the first annual 6 Degrees conference organized by the Institute for Canadian Citizenship in Toronto. Visit www.6degreesto.com for more information.
"As Presenting Sponsor, Air Canada transported 75 delegates from 15 countries to participate in this important new forum that explores inclusion and citizenship," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada who will be speaking at 360: Prosperity. "Air Canada is a strong believer in the benefits of diversity and inclusion. For an expanding global carrier, it is essential our customers see themselves reflected in our workforce, and diversity helps us to accommodate their varied needs and expectations."
Air Canada was named one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers for 2016, recognizing the airline's success in such areas as promoting women and fostering an inclusive workplace for its approximately 30,000 employees.
Each year, Air Canada reports on its progress with respect to diversity in Citizens of the World, Air Canada's Corporate Sustainability Report available at www.aircanada.com/csr. Highlights from the 2015 report include:
- There are an estimated 60 languages spoken by Air Canada employees and 20 per cent of employees belong to visible minorities;
- Air Canada employs more than 300 individuals self-identified as disabled;
- Since 1993 Air Canada has been a sponsor of The Indspire Awards to recognize indigenous professionals and youth with outstanding career achievements. Recipients are chosen to serve as role models for all indigenous peoples.
- 43 per cent of middle managers and 32 per cent of vice-presidents are women and that Air Canada maintains three diversity committees across Canada.
- Air Canada has signed the Catalyst Accord, an undertaking sponsored by the internationally-recognized group, Catalyst, committing to increase the number of women on its Board of Directors to 25 per cent by 2017.
About Air Canada
Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 200 airports on six continents. Canada's flag carrier is among the 20 largest airlines in the world and in 2015 served more than 41 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 64 airports in Canada, 54 in the United States and 87 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,330 airports in 192 countries. Air Canada is the only international network carrier in North America to receive a Four-Star ranking according to independent U.K. research firm Skytrax. For more information, please visit: www.aircanada.com, follow @AirCanada on Twitter and join Air Canada on Facebook.
SOURCE Air Canada
For further information: Isabelle Arthur (Montréal), Isabelle.firstname.lastname@example.org, 514 422-5788; Peter Fitzpatrick (Toronto), email@example.com, 416 263-5576; Angela Mah (Vancouver), firstname.lastname@example.org, 604 270-5741; Internet: aircanada.com