January is the Least Happy Month for Canadian Professionals
TORONTO, Jan. 8, 2017 /CNW/ - Winter's getting a frigid reception at many workplaces around the country. According to research from staffing firm Accountemps, 56% of Canadian professionals said winter weather has a negative impact on their mood at work. One-quarter (25%) cited January as the least happy month.
"To maintain productivity managers must be cognizant of internal and external factors that may affect employee morale and performance," said David King, Canadian president of Accountemps. "Proactively working with teams to identify challenges and provide supportive resources can help mitigate any issues before they escalate or impact the business."
Accountemps shares five tips to help employees beat the winter blues and boost their mood and productivity at work.
- Stay active. Take a brisk walk outside (weather permitting) or hit the gym during lunch to clear your mind and get energized to tackle your next project.
- Nourish yourself. When you're hungry, snack on fresh fruit or nuts. They're much better for your body and focus than sugary or greasy selections from the vending machine.
- Make time for small talk. Sometimes the best ideas come from casual conversations. In between tasks, grab coffee or lunch with a colleague.
- Set goals for the year ahead. Now is the time to think about your career objectives and what you would like to accomplish in the coming year. Write them down and have a discussion with your manager about your goals.
- Pursue professional development. Explore the idea of attending seminars and workshops to gain new skills, build your network and increase your marketability.
About the Research
The survey of workers was developed by Accountemps and conducted by an independent research firm. It includes responses from more than 500 workers 18 years of age or older and employed in office environments in Canada.
Accountemps, a Robert Half company, is the world's first and largest specialized staffing service for temporary accounting, finance and bookkeeping professionals. The staffing firm has 300 locations worldwide. More resources, including job search services and the company's blog, can be found at roberthalf.ca/en/work-with-us/our-services/accountemps. Follow us at @RobertHalf_CAN for additional workplace news and hiring trends.
For further information: Naz Araghian, 416.865.2140, firstname.lastname@example.org