Hybrids and Lexus luxury passenger cars popular choices at the end
TORONTO, Sept. 4 /CNW/ - Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) today announced its
August sales results. TCI sold 17,947 vehicles, down 4.9 per cent from the
same month last year. Despite this, Year-to-Date (YTD) sales remain 4.1 per
cent ahead of 2006, at 142,308.
Canadians purchased 16,928 Toyota vehicles in August, down 5.2 per cent
from the same month last year.
- Toyota sold 11,680 passenger cars in August, down 13 per cent from
the same month in 2006.
- Toyota truck sales of 5,248 were up 18.2 per cent compared to the
same month in 2006.
Lexus in Canada continues the momentum with a best ever August marking 25
consecutive months of record sales. Canadians purchased 1,019 Lexus luxury
cars and SUVs - up 1.8 per cent from August of last year.
- Lexus sold 645 luxury passenger cars in August 2007 - up 24.8 per
cent from the same month the previous year.
- Lexus sold 374 luxury SUVs in August - down 22.7 per cent from August
"As summer winds down and people look ahead to returning to their regular
routines, Canadian drivers in the market for a truck or SUV continue to look
to Toyota," said Tony Wearing, Managing Director of TCI. "Our all-new 2008
Toyota Highlander mid-size SUV was a very popular choice in August, as was our
hard-working Toyota Tundra full-size pick-up truck."
"Through continuous records sales, Canadians have made a clear choice
when it comes to luxury vehicles," noted Yves Gionet, Director of Lexus in
Canada. "Their first taste of the Lexus experience is either an IS or ES
luxury sedan, and both of these important entry luxury models remain popular
choices for Canadian drivers. We are establishing a lifelong relationship with
Lexus guests who are pursuing the performance, comfort, style and quality that
only a Lexus can deliver."
August sales highlights:
- As of August, Toyota and Lexus combined hybrid sales for 2007 year to
date exceeded the combined hybrid sales for all of 2006. TCI sold
5,937 hybrid vehicles in 2007 as of August compared to the 5,870
hybrid vehicles sold in all of 2006.
- The all-new 2008 Toyota Highlander mid-size SUV was a hit with
Canadians this summer. Toyota sold 639 Highlanders last month. That's
up 234.6 per cent compared to August 2006.
- The Toyota RAV4 enjoyed a best August ever, with sales steady at
1,375 in August. That's up 7.8 per cent versus August 2006.
- The Toyota Tundra full-size pick-up truck in both 4x2 and 4x4
configurations yielded a combined total of 914 trucks sold in August
2007 - marking a best August ever.
- The Lexus ES 350 enjoyed a best August ever with strong sales of 293
models. That's up 35.6 per cent versus August of last year. YTD sales
of 2,897 are up 39.9 per cent over the first eight months of 2006.
- The IS series luxury performance sedans - including the IS 250 RWD,
IS 250 AWD, and IS 350 - also achieved a best August ever with 264
models sold. That's ahead 12.8 per cent compared to August 2006. YTD
sales of the IS are ahead 8.9 per cent compared to the same period
For further information:
For further information: Kathryn Ruhland, Manager, Public Relations,
Toyota Canada Inc., (416) 431-8333, email@example.com