Fuel-efficient fleet and hybrid models power strong sales
TORONTO, July 2 /CNW/ - A broad selection of fuel-efficient vehicles,
including Canada's best offering of gasoline-electric hybrids, has powered
Toyota Canada Inc. to a record June sales performance. TCI sold 22,428 Toyota
and Lexus cars and trucks in June, up 8.8 per cent from June 2007, and leading
to record June sales for both brands. Compared to June 2007:
- Sales of the Canadian-built compact Corolla rose 32 per cent to 5,991
and a new June sales record. The fuel-efficient Corolla recently
travelled more than 1,000 km on a single tank to win the
CanadianDriver 50-litre Challenge(TM).
- RAV4 compact SUV sales of 1,745 were up 25.2 per cent to set a new
- Highlander SUV sales of 377 were up 259 per cent.
- Lexus luxury passenger car sales of 934 in June were up 7.4 per cent
to set a new June record.
- Lexus sold 623 luxury SUVs in June, up 55 per cent to set a new June
- Sales of the Canadian-built Lexus RX 350 of 393 in June were up
35.5 per cent.
Canadians purchased 1,705 hybrid vehicles (Toyota plus Lexus), up 77.4 per
cent versus June of last year to set a new June record for hybrid sales.
Compared to June 2007:
- Sales of 1,391 Toyota hybrid passenger cars (Prius + Camry Hybrid)
were up 68.6 per cent and represent 8.6 per cent of all Toyota
passenger cars sold in June.
- Total Lexus hybrid sales of 192 were up 97.9 per cent and represent
over 12 per cent of all Lexus sales last month.
- Sales of 735 Prius were up 414 per cent. April, May and June are the
top three months for Prius sales since Toyota introduced the model in
- Highlander Hybrid sales were up 212.8 per cent at 122 to set a new
- Sales of 179 Lexus RX 400h luxury hybrid SUVs were up 113.1 per cent
to establish a new June record.
"Drivers continue to turn to Toyota for quality-built, safe and
fuel-friendly vehicles, and with a third price reduction announced just
yesterday, Canadians can enjoy even greater value," said Warren Orton,
Director at TCI. "With gasoline prices at record levels, and 2009 Corolla
pricing that starts lower than 1997 levels, it's no wonder that Canadians
continue to embrace the fuel-efficient Toyota Corolla."
"Canadian drivers shopping for a fuel-efficient vehicle can turn to Lexus
for the world's only collection of luxury hybrids," said Yves Gionet, Director
of Lexus in Canada. "Record sales of the hybrid RX 400h SUV demonstrate that
discerning Canadians are embracing this next-generation, no-compromise
technology in their own pursuit of environmental leadership."
For further information:
For further information: Dawn Soulis, Manager, Public Relations, Toyota
Canada Inc., (416) 431-8333, email@example.com