TORONTO, Jan. 16 /CNW/ At approximately 10 pm, January 15th, Toronto
Hydro-Electric System was forced to cut power to one of its stations. A broken
water main has flooded the station and a request to have the water shut off
has been made. In order for crews to gain safe access inside the station to
make a damage assessment and repairs, the flooding must be first cleared.
Customers within the following boundary are affected:
North - St. Clair Ave West
East - Spadina Ave
West - Jane Street
South - Queen Street West
Customers will be without power for a minimum 18 to 24 hours from the
time of outage and should consider seeking shelter with a friend or family.
Power outage tips:
Turn off the water supply to your home to avoid water pipes freezing and
bursting. Turn off or unplug electronic components and motor-driven equipment,
such as computers, fridges, furnaces and pumps.
Don't open the freezer. Food will remain frozen for up to two days in a
closed freezer cabinet, if undisturbed. Once thawed, cook food before
refreezing. Avoid opening the fridge. Perishables, such as milk, should last
six to eight hours, but if in doubt, throw it out. If power is off for more
than one day in sub-zero weather, you can transfer food to a cooler stored in
an unheated garage or balcony. Don't leave food out in open containers.
Never use a gas stove as a room heater, and don't barbecue inside the
garage. If a fireplace or kerosene space heater is used, open a window for
ventilation. Otherwise, there is a real danger of death from carbon monoxide
poisoning or asphyxiation (as an unvented combustion appliance consumes all
the available oxygen in the room).
For homes with automatic garage door openers, pull the dangling nylon
cord to release the door for manual opening.
If you have a gas-powered generator, don't run it in the garage (as
deadly carbon monoxide fumes can seep into your home). Always refer to the
owner's manual before setting up the generator. Improper installation of a
generator can pose a serious electrical hazard to Toronto Hydro emergency
personnel. Chain it to a solid object in your backyard to avoid theft and
connect a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord.
Listen to your emergency kit radio for updates, but if the indoor
temperature gets too chilly, head to heated shelter. Check that the stove is
If you were using the stove, lamps and appliances when the power went
out, turn them off to avoid possible damage when the power is back on.
For further information:
For further information: Toronto Hydro-Electric System, Media Relations
Hotline, (416) 903-6845