Tense over Taxes? Try These Income Tax Filing Tips from KPMG LLP

    TORONTO, April 24 /CNW/ - With just a few days to go before the April 30
deadline for filing your personal tax return, you can still be rewarded with a
lower tax bill if you pay careful attention to all the available deductions
and credits and how you claim them.
    Paul Woolford, associate partner with KPMG's Enterprise practice in
Toronto, offers practical tips to help you reduce your 2006 tax bill. For more
tax filing tips and tax planning ideas to help you save next April, pick up
KPMG's Tax Planning for You and Your Family 2007, available in bookstores
across Canada.

    2006 Tax Filing Tips

    Are you an investor?

    You may be able to claim deductions for:

    Interest - If you've borrowed money that you're using to earn income from
a business or property, such as common shares bought on the stock market, the
interest you pay is generally deductible.

    Carrying charges - You may also be able to deduct carrying charges you
pay to earn investment income, such as charges for the management and
safekeeping of your investments; safety deposit box fees; accounting fees for
recording investment income; and fees for investment counselling.

    RRSP contributions - If you made an RRSP contribution by March 1, 2007
and you have enough RRSP deduction room, you can claim the deduction on your
2006 income tax return or carry it forward, if doing this will benefit you

    Small business investment losses - If you or your company invested money
in an unsuccessful "small business corporation" and you now have a capital
loss on shares of the corporation or debt it owes you, the losses may qualify
as "allowable business investment losses". Unlike other capital losses, this
type of loss can be used to reduce income other than just simply capital
gains, such as employment or investment income.

    Are you a commuter?

    Commuters' tax credit - If you kept your monthly transit passes for
travel after June 30, 2006 on local or commuter buses, subways and trains,
remember to claim the new transit pass tax credit on your 2006 personal tax
return. You may be able to claim the credit for monthly passes used by your
spouse or child under 19.

    Are you a business owner?

    Self-employment expenses - If you're self-employed, make sure you take
advantage of all the business-related expenses that you can claim to reduce
your taxes. These include automobile expenses, parking fees, business
association fees, entertainment costs, convention expenses (a maximum of two
per year), cell phone bills, depreciation on your computer and salaries paid
to assistants, including family members. Remember that in most cases, you can
deduct private health care premiums as a business expense instead of as a
medical expense.

    Are you an employee?

    Employment tax credit - If you are employed, remember to claim the new
employment tax credit on up to $250 on your 2006 tax return to help cover your
work-related expenses.

    Do you have a family?

    Child care expenses - If you have qualifying child care expenses, you may
be able to deduct $7,000 for each child under seven and $4,000 for each child
aged seven to 16. The expenses have to be made to allow you or your spouse to
work, carry on business, attend school or carry on grant-funded research.
Usually, the lower-income spouse must claim the deduction.

    Charitable donations - If you're married, don't claim charitable
donations separately - combine them and claim them on the higher-income
spouse's return. The receipts can be in either spouse's name. If you donated
public company shares to a charity after May 1, 2006, you will not have to pay
tax on any capital gain on the shares.

    Pay your spouse's tax bill - If you earn income in a higher tax bracket
than your spouse, consider paying your spouse's tax bill with funds from your
own separate bank account. This will leave your spouse with more funds of his
or her own for investments, on which he or she will pay a lower rate of tax
than you would.

    Transfer your credits - If claiming certain non-refundable credits has
reduced your federal tax owing to zero without using up all the credits, you
may be able to transfer the unused amount to your spouse. Credits for
charitable donations, tuition fees, education amounts, the age amount (for
people over 65) pension income credits or disability credits can be
transferred to your spouse's return, as long as you've used as much of them as
you could.

    Are you a student?

    Textbook tax credit - If you're a post-secondary student, you may be able
to claim a new textbook tax credit on the amount of $65 for each month of 2006
that you qualify for the full-time education tax credit or $20 for each month
you qualify for the part-time education tax credit. If you can't use all of
this credit in 2006 you can transfer it to a parent or spouse or carry it
forward indefinitely.

    Did you move during 2006?

    Moving expenses - Moving expenses are often overlooked as a deduction. If
you started working at a new location of employment or started a new business
in 2006 and you moved to a home that is 40 km closer to your new work location
than your old home was, you may be able to deduct many of your moving
expenses, providing that the expenses were not reimbursed by your employer.

    Do you have medical expenses?

    Medical expenses - If your family has medical expenses totalling more
than 3% of your net income (or more than $1,885 if your net income is over
$62,833), you may be able to claim a federal tax credit for all qualifying
expenses above the threshold. Keep in mind that you can claim your expenses
for any 12-month period ending in 2006 on your 2006 return. The list of
qualifying expenses is long - check the CRA web site for more information.

    Can't afford to pay your tax bill?

    Reduce late filing penalties - File your return on time even if you can't
pay the balance owing. Doing this will eliminate the 5% late-filing penalty,
though you will still have to pay interest on your balance. If you can't file
your return on time but you know you owe taxes, making a payment by April 30,
2007 will help reduce late-filing penalties.

    About KPMG

    KPMG LLP is the Canadian member firm of KPMG, a global network of
professional firms providing Audit, Tax, and Advisory services. We operate in
144 countries and have more than 104,000 professionals working in member firms
around the world.
    The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG
International, a Swiss cooperative. KPMG International provides no client

For further information:

For further information: To arrange an interview, please contact: Julie
Bannerjea, Senior Manager, External Communications/Media Relations,
(416)777-3243 or jbannerjea@kpmg.ca; or Shilpa Kotecha, Manager, External
Communications/Media Relations, (416) 777-8918 or skotecha@kpmg.ca

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890