WINNIPEG, Jan. 22 /CNW/ - There will be a lot of Happy Dancing over the
next few days! LOTTO 6/49 players will be mimicking the popular Happy Dance
LOTTO 6/49 advertisements as they hope to win the estimated $43 Million
Jackpot this Saturday, January 24th! This is the fifth time in history that
the Jackpot has been estimated at $40 Million or more. This Saturday's
estimate - $43 Million - is tied for the highest estimate to date.
Saturday's Jackpot will be closing in on record territory. The
largest-ever lottery Jackpot won in Canada, estimated at $40 Million, was a
$54.3 Million LOTTO 6/49 prize from the October 26, 2005 draw. That prize was
won by a group of 17 oil and gas workers in central Alberta. The difference
between the estimate and the actual prize amount is due to overwhelming player
response to a jackpot of this size.
The odds of winning the LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot on any one Selection are
approximately 1 in 14 million, but over the years, many players from the
Prairies and Territories have defied those odds. In total, there have been 291
LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot winners of $1 Million or more from Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba and the Territories since the game began in 1982. In recent weeks, a
$7.5 Million Jackpot was won with a ticket purchased in Morinville, Alberta.
Tickets for this Saturday's HUGE Jackpot can be purchased until 7:00 p.m.
MT, 8:00 p.m. CT, on the day of the draw. Because almost half of the game's
sales traditionally occur on draw day, players are encouraged to buy their
tickets early. Winning numbers and prize information - including whether the
Jackpot was won - are expected to be available on www.wclc.com later that
evening. Because of the sheer volume of sales for large jackpots, results
occasionally take a bit longer than normal to be confirmed.
CANADA'S FAVOURITE LOTTERY GAME!
DID YOU KNOW?
- The largest LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot - and the largest lottery Jackpot in
Canadian history was $54.3 Million, won by a group of 17 oil and gas
workers from central Alberta in October 2005.
- The largest LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot won in Saskatchewan was $14.3 Million
in February 2006.
- The largest LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot won in Manitoba was $27.2 Million in
- The largest LOTTO 6/49 Jackpot won in NWT was $11 Million in October
- Luckiest town in the region is Peers, Alberta - population 120. Two
residents of the tiny hamlet have won LOTTO 6/49 - once in 2005 with
a Jackpot of $8.2 Million and once on the October 27, 2007 draw, when
a Peers resident split $22 Million with a winner in NWT.
- Most lottery tickets are sold the day of the draw.
- During the height of sales the day of the record Jackpot of
$54.3 Million, $1 Million worth of lottery tickets were being
purchased across Canada each hour.
- LOTTO 6/49 was introduced in Canada in June of 1982 as a Saturday
- On September 7, 1985, Wednesday draws were introduced, making LOTTO
6/49 a bi-weekly game.
- On October 27 1990, 18 tickets matched 6/6 numbers drawn on LOTTO
6/49 with a jackpot of $19,774,175.40. This was the largest number of
tickets to share a jackpot in Canada. Three of the winning tickets
were sold on the Prairies, three in British Columbia, nine in
Ontario, and three in Quebec.
- LOTTO 6/49 draws are held every Wednesday and Saturday. Tickets can
be purchased until 7 pm MT/8 pm CT on the date of the draw.
- Odds of winning are approximately 1 in 14 million.
For further information:
For further information: Andrea Marantz, 1-800-665-3313 ext 1397