Source Available for Comment on 2007 Holiday Retail Trends and Outlook
TORONTO, Dec. 19 /CNW/ - For reporters interested in discussing Canada's
retail and consumer markets during the holiday season, Willy Kruh, National
Partner for the Consumer Markets Industry practice is available for comment.
Questions he can address:
- The impact of the Canadian dollar relative to the greenback on
consumers and retailers, and the economic outlook for retailers in
this 2007-08 holiday season.
- Is the dollar having an impact on the bottom line for manufacturers
who are importing and/or exporting products? If so, what can they do
to help offset this loss?
- Cross-border shopping - has it been on the rise during month of
December and is it having a negative impact on Canadian retailers?
- On-line sales have been on the rise this year; does this mean fewer
people are heading out to battle the crowds?
- What are retailers doing to boost on-line gift buying?
- Do consumers/retailers/banks have to be more diligent about credit
card fraud at this time of year given the increase in transactions
both in-store and on-line?
- With an increasingly competitive holiday season between department
stores, discounters, and big box specialty retailers, which retail
segment(s) will emerge as the top performer(s)?
- What promotional strategies are retailers employing to lure customers
into their stores this holiday season?
- Retail gift cards have been popular in the past, but studies have
indicated that often consumers fail to even use them, or they expire.
Is this true and, if so, do consumers still continue to purchase them
for the sake of convenience?
- What is the impact of Canada's growing ethnic population on retailers
during the holiday season?
About KPMG in Canada
KPMG LLP, a Canadian limited liability partnership established under the
laws of Ontario, is the Canadian member firm affiliated with KPMG
International, a global network of professional firms providing Audit, Tax,
and Advisory services. Member firms operate in 145 countries and have more
than 123,000 professionals working around the world.
The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG
International, a Swiss cooperative. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and
separate entity, and describes itself as such.
For further information:
For further information: Media contact: Shilpa Kotecha, Media Relations,
KPMG in Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org, (416) 777-8918