Press Release no 16 - General Elections of March 26, 2007 - VOTING BY ELECTORS WHO ARE TEMPORARILY ABSENT FROM QUEBEC

    QUEBEC CITY, March 6 /CNW Telbec/ - Marcel Blanchet, the Chief Electoral
Officer of Québec, would like to inform persons who are qualified electors in
Québec but are currently residing outside Québec that they have only 24 hours
to return their application to vote by correspondence in the general elections
of March 26, 2007. The application must be received in the office of the Chief
Electoral Officer latest March 7, 2007, at midnight.
    The registration form may be downloaded from the Chief Electoral
Officer's website at and returned together with
copies of the following identification documents:

    - a document that contains the elector's name and date of birth (for
      example: passport, birth certificate, citizenship certificate or
      medicare card);
    - another document that contains the elector's name and the mailing
      address of his or her domicile in Québec (for example: driver's
      licence, lease, electricity bill or any other official document that
      shows the elector's address in Québec).

    All these documents can be sent by one of the following means:

    By fax:      418-643-3829

    By e-mail:

    By mail:     Voting by Electors Outside Québec
                 The Chief Electoral Officer
                 Edifice René-Lévesque
                 3460, rue de La Pérade
                 Québec (Québec) G1X 3Y5

    This measure applies to electors who have left Québec temporarily within
the last two years and who intend to return. They may vote by correspondence
for a candidate in the electoral division in which they are domiciled in
Québec. To do this, they must complete the registration form and return it to
the Chief Electoral Officer within the deadline. Eligible electors will then
receive a ballot paper, sent to their address outside Québec, along with
information they require in order to vote.
    The two-year limit on absences does not apply to electors who are posted
outside Québec to a position with the Gouvernement du Québec, the Government
of Canada or an international organization mentioned in the Act, nor does it
apply to the spouse or dependents of an elector, provided they are themselves
electors. Electors posted outside Québec must provide proof of their posting
in addition to the other supporting documents required on the registration
    To be able to exercise the right to vote outside Québec, the person must
be a qualified elector - in other words, he or she must be 18 years of age on
polling day, be a Canadian citizen, and have been domiciled in Québec for 12
months before the date of departure. In addition, he or she must not be under
curatorship and must not be deprived of voting rights.
    Mr. Blanchet asks anyone with relatives or friends who have been
temporarily absent from Québec for two years or less and who, at the time of
their departure, were domiciled in an electoral division in Québec, to inform
the people in question that they may vote by correspondence in the general
elections of March 26th.
    -%SU: CPN
    -%RE: 1

For further information:

For further information: Myriam Régnier, Information Officer, (418)
644-3320, 1-888-870-3320,

Organization Profile

Directeur général des élections

More on this organization

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890