McGuinty Government Announces Finalists For Premier's Awards
TORONTO, May 27 /CNW/ -
Ontario is shining the spotlight on the province's artists and arts
organizations with the release of this year's finalists for the Premier's
Awards for Excellence in the Arts.
The winning artist will receive $35,000 and will select a new or emerging
artist to receive a prize of $15,000. The winning arts organization will be
awarded $50,000. The remaining finalists will each receive $2,000.
Finalists in the artist category are:
- Lydia Adams, artistic director of the Elmer Iseler Singers of Toronto
- Norm Foster, Ancaster playwright
- Gary Kulesha, Toronto composer, pianist, conductor and teacher of
- Ron Mann, Toronto documentary film-maker
- Ahdri Zhina Mandiela, Toronto founder and artistic director of
"b current" performance arts company
- Albert Moritz, Toronto poet
Finalists in the arts organization category are:
- Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, of Toronto
- Guelph Jazz Festival, of Guelph
- Harbourfront Centre, of Toronto
- imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival, of Toronto
- Toronto Artscape Inc., of Toronto
- VTape, of Toronto
The winners will be announced June 23 at an event at the Wychwood Barns
"This year's finalists for the Premier's Awards for Excellence in the
Arts showcase the enormous impact artists have on our province's economy,
and our quality of life. Our artists help us exchange ideas, images,
stories and experiences that are uniquely Canadian."
- Culture Minister Aileen Carroll
- The Premier's Awards for Excellence in the Arts are administered by
the Ontario Arts Council (http://www.arts.on.ca/page11.aspx).
- Over 250,000 people earn their living in Ontario's culture sector,
including 52,000 professional artists.
- The culture sector generates nearly $20 billion of Ontario's Gross
About the McGuinty government's increased support
(http://www.culture.gov.on.ca/english/about/news.htm) for arts and
culture in Ontario.
Disponible en français
For further information:
For further information: Sarah Petravan, Minister's Office, (416)
325-1676; Lisa Robart, Communications Branch, (416) 212-3928