Media Bulletin - Campus registration events at universities and colleges across Ontario

    TORONTO, Sept. 17 /CNW/ - Elections Ontario will be holding campus
registration events on Monday, September 17 and Tuesday, September 18 from
11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Colleges and universities that have a residence will
have registration desks set up on campus for students who permanently reside
on campus or off-campus in the electoral district in which the campus is
    Electors can find the dates, times and locations of the registration
events on posters distributed on campus or by contacting the local returning
    Students are reminded that all electors will need proper identification
that shows proof of identity and proof of where they reside to register to
vote. Acceptable identification documents are listed on
    To ensure the list of acceptable identification documents is inclusive
for all electors, Elections Ontario recently completed a survey that was sent
to diverse communities and groups across the province including school and
student administrations.
    "We received responses from more than 30 student groups and
organizations," said John Hollins, Chief Electoral Officer. "We are confident
that with the feedback received from these groups, we were able to create a
list of acceptable ID that will ensure students do not experience barriers to
voting, while maintaining the integrity of the electoral process."
    Like all other electors, students should vote in the electoral district
where they permanently reside. This may be where their family lives or where
they reside while at school. It is up to the student to determine where they
permanently reside based on the Election Act.

    The Ontario Election Act defines "residence" as the place a person
intends to return whenever they are absent for any length of time. The Act
states that:

    -   The place where their family resides is your permanent residence
        until they move elsewhere with the intention of making that change
    -   If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he
        or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger is his
        or her residence.

    Students living outside their electoral district during the upcoming
election have two ways to vote at home. First, they can travel to their
permanent address and vote at an advance poll or on Election and Referendum
Day, October 10, 2007. If students are not able to travel home to vote at a
poll, they can vote by proxy.
    For more information, visit

    Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for
administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda.

    Disponible en français

For further information:

For further information: Elections Ontario Media Relations: (416)
212-6186, 1-866-252-2152,

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890