Media Advisory/Interview Opportunity - Travelling with Children this Summer? - Don't forget to bring their passports!

    - Ogilvy Renault LLP Outlines What You Need to Know Prior to Crossing the
    Border with Children -

    MONTREAL, June 26 /CNW Telbec/ -

    What:     Soon thousands of Canadians will be traveling outside Canada on
              vacation. To avoid encountering any problems that might spoil
              these long awaited trips, family members planning to take
              children over the border need to be aware of the strict rules
              on travelling with minors.

              The reality is that the "nuclear family" is no longer the norm.
              Today's Canadian families are diverse and can include -
              children from other relationships, single-parent families and
              children living with relatives.  In addition, it is not
              uncommon to travel with someone else's children.  Parents with
              different surnames should also be aware of these issues when
              travelling with their children because it could raise questions
              at the border that could affect the entire vacation...

    Why:      In all of these instances where children are not accompanied by
              their two parents, formal legal procedures have been enforced
              at international borders and must be followed when planning
              your family vacations.

              Indeed, many countries, including Canada and the United States,
              now require that in addition to a passport, documentary
              evidence in the form of a consent letter be presented to
              establish the relationship of the accompanying adult to the
              child before a minor can cross international borders.

    How:      Legislation, both within Canada and abroad, strongly recommends
              that any adult travelling with children other than their
              biological children, provide immigration control with, in
              addition to the travel document, a written declaration, ideally
              signed under oath (signed by a notary, a lawyer or an oath
              officer), that includes the following information:

    - Full name and date of birth of child;
    - Full name and date of birth of both parents (incl. surnames of both
      parents if applicable);
    - Full name of the accompanying adults
    - Details of trip (date - from day/month/year to day/month/year, where -
      address - and method of transportation);
    - Confirmation of 'no-objection' to the trip from parent or legal

    Who:      Leading legal experts from Ogilvy Renault's Business
              Immigration and  International Mobility Team are available to
              further elaborate on the significant implications on cross-
              border travel, from a business, personal and family
              perspective, as well as the legal preparations required which
              will facilitate travel.
    About Ogilvy Renault

    Ogilvy Renault is a full-service business law firm with close to 450
lawyers, patent and trade-mark agents practising in the areas of business,
litigation, intellectual property, and employment and labour. Ogilvy Renault
has offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Québec, Toronto, and London (UK), and serves
some of the largest and most successful corporations in Canada, and in more
than 120 countries worldwide. The firm was recently named Best Law Firm in
Canada by The International Law Office. For more information, please consult :

For further information:

For further information: or to speak to an Ogilvy Renault spokesperson,
please contact: Lisa Azzuolo, (416) 216-3909,

Organization Profile


More on this organization

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890