Media Advisory - Tax tips for students

    TORONTO, Feb. 17 /CNW/ -

    -  Post-secondary students attending college or university full-time are
       eligible for the Textbook Tax Credit. A student can claim $65 for
       every month they qualify for the education amount. Part-time students
       can claim $20 per qualifying month. The credit does not depend on how
       many textbooks you purchase - it is standard for every student who

    -  Under the old tax rules, only the first $3,000 of a scholarship or
       bursary was tax free. Recent changes have exempted all scholarships
       and bursary amounts from being taxed if the related program qualifies
       for the education amount. This includes scholarships at the elementary
       and secondary school level.

    -  For students who depend on transit to get to campus, keep your passes
       to claim the Transit Tax Credit. The program was expanded to include
       some electronic tickets and weekly passes purchased for four
       consecutive weeks. You need the receipts or transit passes to back up
       your claim.

    -  Students turning 19 before April 1, 2010 should file a tax return even
       if they had no income. This will allow them to collect the GST/HST
       credit for the first payment period following their birthday.

    -  Students will receive a T2202A for the amount of tuition paid for
       2008. This form allows you to claim tuition and education amounts as
       well as the Textbook Tax Credit. The student must use the amount on
       their tax return first to reduce their tax payable to zero. Any amount
       remaining may be carried forward for use in another year, or may be
       transferred to a spouse, parent or grandparent.

    -  If you move more than 40 kilometers to take a summer job, you may be
       able to claim moving expenses against your employment income at the
       new location. Deductible expenses include travel, transportation,
       storage and the cost of meals and temporary accommodation for up to 15

    -  Interest on government and provincial student loans that you are
       repaying is deductible. Loans and credit lines outside of the
       government program are not deductible.

    A local H&R Block tax professional is available to speak about tax tips
for students.

    About H&R Block Canada

    H&R Block Canada has been preparing taxes for more than 40 years and is
Canada's leading tax preparation firm. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, the
company serves Canadian taxpayers in more than 1,100 offices across the
country. H&R Block Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of H&R Block, Inc., a
diversified company with subsidiaries providing a wide range of financial
products and services. Additional information about H&R Block Canada is
available at 1-800-HRBLOCK or visit for more tax tips.

For further information:

For further information: Tina Quelch, Calador Communications, (416)

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890