Media Advisory - Tax tips for seniors

    TORONTO, March 10 /CNW/ -

    -   Starting with the 2007 tax return, seniors will be allowed to split
        up to half of their eligible pension income with a spouse or common-
        law partner. Income splitting will allow some seniors to take
        advantage of a significant tax break. In the situation where the
        lower-income spouse has very little income, the tax savings will be
    -   The Federal Government increased the age limit to 71 from 69 for
        Registered Retirement Savings Plans.- Any senior receiving Guaranteed
        Income Supplement (GIS) through Old Age Security should file on time
        to ensure their benefits continue uninterrupted.
    -   If your spouse is unable to completely offset his or her age amount,
        pension income and disability amount against tax payable, he or she
        may transfer the unused portion to your return.
    -   If you live with your children, they may be able to claim a caregiver
        amount for you if your income is less than $13,726.
    -   Pensions from foreign countries may be subject to special tax
        treatment under the terms of a tax treaty. Always check with a tax
        professional to find out if the pension you receive from a foreign
        source is taxable in Canada.
    -   You may be able to split part of your CPP retirement benefits with
        your spouse depending on how long you lived together when you were
        contributing to the plan. This is an advantage if one senior is in a
        higher tax bracket than the other. However, to do so, you must apply
        to Human Resources & Social Development Canada. It cannot be done at
        the time of tax preparation.
    -   Remember that there are tax credits available for federal or
        provincial political contributions, medical expenses and charitable
        donations. A tax professional can advise you as to what can be
        claimed and the best way to ensure maximum deductions.

    A local H&R Block tax professional, can talk about more tax tips for

    About H&R Block Canada

    H&R Block Canada prepares nearly two million tax returns annually, making
it Canada's leading tax preparation firm. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta,
the company serves Canadian taxpayers in more than 1,000 offices across the
country. H&R Block Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of H&R Block, Inc., a
diversified company with subsidiaries providing a wide range of financial
products and services. Additional information about H&R Block Canada is
available at 1-800-HRBLOCK or visit for more tax tips.

For further information:

For further information: Tina Quelch, Calador Communications, (416)

Organization Profile

H&R Block Canada Inc.

More on this organization

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890