New Ontario PC Party election document reflects vision, values under a
different kind of Leader
TORONTO, June 9 /CNW/ - Ontario PC Party Leader John Tory today presented
Ontario voters with his plan for the government he will lead if elected this
"I see this as a plan that Ontarians can unite around and rally behind
because only by bringing people together can we get Ontario back on track,"
The 52-page plan, entitled "For a better Ontario - Leadership Matters"
builds upon many of the PC Party's existing policy initiatives for areas such
as healthcare, agriculture, and community safety; and expands into other key
areas such as education, jobs and economy, environment, energy,
infrastructure, skilled immigration, fighting poverty, and taxation.
These are grouped by four areas that highlight the plan's emphasis on key
values of trust, fairness and competence:
- Investing in Stronger Communities
- Fairness for You and Your Family
- Government that Works for You
- Building for Ontario's Future
Additionally, the Plan includes a commitment to provide 4-year estimates
of associated program expenditures, to be issued after the PC Party has a
chance to review the Auditor-General's pre-election report on the province's
"My track record as a leader in business, sports and community work is
one of putting together plans and meeting them," said Tory. "I did what I said
I would do and that is what I will do in government."
The full PC Plan is available at www.ontariopc.com.
John Tory and Dalton McGuinty the big contrasts
1. John Tory has a plan for a better Ontario, built on things that
matter to ordinary people
- Stronger communities; fairness for you and your family; government
that works for you; and building for Ontario's future
2. Truth in taxes... at last
- We will eliminate Dalton McGuinty's unfair, regressive so-called
health tax gradually & responsibly
- and give the money back to hard-working Ontarians
- Gas tax revenue will go to build transit and roads... finally
- Hunting & angling revenue will go to conservation. It's about
3. Realistic, ambitious plans for energy & environment
- We will clean up the coal plants - fixing Dalton McGuinty's mess
- We're setting real environmental targets after four years of
- We'll build nuclear power - the most viable option for energy
security while tackling climate change
4. Smart planning for better health care
- Unlike Dalton McGuinty, we'll focus on ending waiting lists and
ending people's pain
- not on playing politics with health care
- We're committed to growing public funding of services, and we'll
pursue public-private partnerships where they make sense -
provided that patients always pay with their OHIP card
- We'll bring e-health records out of the stone age, and into 21st
5. Jobs & government services... closer to home
- We'll move 10% of government jobs to Ontario's smaller centres -
particularly the communities that have been hit hard by job losses
in the last four years
6. Fairness for those Dalton McGuinty has neglected or ignored
- Farmers: Boost safety net payments, level playing field with
Quebec, a plan to market Ontario food
- Vulnerable citizens - e.g., fair funding for children with autism
- Northerners - a 25-year fund to build a new economic base
7. One law for everyone
- We'll support enforcement of laws and court orders - because
everyone is subject equally to the law - and we'll follow all
appropriate legal steps to ensure court orders are respected.
- No one is beneath the law's protection - no matter how poor,
vulnerable and powerless.
8. Accountable, transparent, efficient government
- Dalton McGuinty introduced the largest tax hike in Ontario history
- and he's boosted spending from $69 B to $91 B. But no one asks
what we're getting for this massive spending.
- John Tory will ask. We'll measure value for every government
- We'll fight waste: government can find efficiencies of $1.5
billion - just 2% of the budget.
- We'll put an end to Dalton McGuinty's year-end spending madness.
9. While Dalton dithers, delays and denies problems, John Tory has the
courage to act on longstanding public concerns
- We'll fix property tax assessment (a 5% cap + fix the system)
- We'll fund municipalities fairly - with action by 2008 budget
- We'll significantly expand funding for public education - while
being fair and inclusive to faith-based schools: an opportunity to
join the public system, with clear conditions (teacher
certification, Ontario curriculum, standardized tests)
- We'll fight gridlock & decaying public infrastructure - building
transit & roads
Dalton McGuinty thinks it's OK to break his most fundamental commitments.
John Tory believes your word is your bond.
Dalton McGuinty measures success by how much he spends.
John Tory measures success by how much he achieves.
Dalton McGuinty sees businesses and entrepreneurs as sources of tax
John Tory sees them as the keys to Ontario's prosperity.
Dalton McGuinty says we have to choose between strengthening the economy
and helping the needy.
John Tory says these things must always go hand in hand.
Dalton McGuinty accepts - and excuses - the decline in Ontarians'
standard of living.
John Tory believes Ontario can be great again.
Dalton McGuinty denies problems, dithers on decisions and delays action.
John Tory is a leader of integrity, ability, strength & compassion. He'll
take action today to build the Ontario of tomorrow.
For further information:
For further information: Brendan Howe, (416) 319-1418