The terminal expansion and renovation project recognized for its impact on the community
QUÉBEC CITY, Oct. 12, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - The INOVA awards of the Urban Development Institute of Québec (UDI) were presented at a cocktail reception on Thursday, October 11. As part of a contest that recognizes innovative projects with a significant impact on the community, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) received an award in the "public service" category.
"The terminal expansion and renovation project stems from YQB's mission and vision, which is to make the Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport a world-class airport. Between 2005 and 2019, YQB will have invested over half a billion dollars in its infrastructures to cater to growth, while focusing on passengers as its main priority. We are extremely proud to receive this award, which recognizes our vision and our avant-garde approach. Since the start of the project, our rigorous and innovative attitude have allowed us to distinguish ourselves and position the YQB team as an expert in the fields of planning, engineering and construction. The award recompenses all the people who have made a direct or indirect contribution to the project," says Gaëtan Gagné, YQB's president and CEO.
The terminal expansion and renovation project was designed using an innovative Building Information Modeling (BIM) approach, for the first time ever in Québec in a project of this scope. It also aimed to raise the level of sustainable development using geothermal energy, automated lighting, heat recovery and the controlled inflow of fresh air. These key innovations, among others, were mentioned at the INOVA award ceremony yesterday.
The international terminal expansion and renovation project involved a dozen construction and IT projects all running at the same time, including a refurbishment of the airport's runways. The result is four new passenger gates, self-serve check-in kiosks, automated self-service customs kiosks, charging stations for smartphones and tablets, bigger food courts offering a wider range of meals, more baggage carrousels serving international flights, a more user-friendly and better-designed customs area, a duty-free store that is four times larger, a larger capacity luggage area, automated baggage drop-off facilities, and dynamic communications and signage systems, including the YQB mobile application.
The INOVA Awards, presented by the Urban development institute of Quebec (UDI), honour the talented men and women extending the reach of Quebec's real estate expertise. The innovative projects recognized have a significant impact on commercial, multi-residential, industrial and public service real estate sectors. The awards also pay tribute to one promising industry up-and-comer. For more information, see: https://idu.quebec/fr/inova.
About Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
YQB is managed by Aéroport de Québec inc., the private corporation responsible, since November 1, 2000, for the management, operation, maintenance and development of Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport. Around a dozen carriers use YQB to offer connections to North America, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe, and daily flights to the main hubs in eastern North America.
- 2018 ‒ INOVA award of the Urban Development Institute of Québec (UDI)
- 2018 – Level 2 Airport Carbon Accreditation certification
- 2018 – Québec consulting engineering awards – mechanical and electrical building engineering
- 2018 - Employee Recommended Workplace Awards, presented by Morneau Shepell and The Globe and Mail
- 2017 - Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Best lounge in North America
- 2017 - Élixir PMI-Montréal award for outstanding management of the YQB 2018 project
- 2017 - Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the "YQB, Aéroport de Québec" mobile app
- 2016 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the "aeroportdequebec.com" website
- 2016 - Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Highly Commended
- 2013/2011/2010 Best airport in North America in the 0 to 2 million passenger category, Airport Service Quality (ASQ)
SOURCE Aéroport de Québec
For further information: Laurianne Lapierre, Advisor, communications and media relations, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport, Phone: 418 640-2700, extension 2624