OTTAWA, Aug. 20 /CNW Telbec/ - The RCMP has been informed by the
Department of Foreign Affairs that the delivery of a petition to the Leaders
Summit in Montebello, which was signed by more than 10,000 Canadians across
the country, will be prohibited.
The RCMP had previously told the Council of Canadians that the petitions
could be delivered just outside the gates of the Chateau Montebello, which is
being heavily guarded by Canadian and American security forces.
"This is clearly not a security concern but a political prohibition,"
says Maude Barlow, national chairperson of the Council of Canadians. "This is
yet another strong message from the Conservative government that they are not
willing to hear the concerns of Canadians on the Security and Prosperity
The Council of Canadians is demanding that the Harper government cease
all SPP talks until the agreement is brought before parliament and the public.
"If they are unwilling to accept paper petitions, how credible is the
claim that leaders will view or hear, through video feed, the message of
protesters outside the summit."
For further information:
For further information: Meera Karunananthan, Media Officer, (613)
233-4487, ext. 234, cell: (613) 795-8685, email@example.com;