WINDSOR,ON, March 31 /CNW/ - The CAW is celebrating today's announcement
by the Ontario government and Ford Canada of an investment needed to re-open
the Ford Essex engine plant.
The provincial government has pledged $17 million for the plant as part
of a $170 million venture by Ford to put a new product line into the facility.
Ford had initially proposed a $300 million investment in the plant, but
later scaled back plans after the federal government failed to come forward
with its $30 million portion.
The plant, which closed in November 2007, will re-open and employ 300
people who will build a new engine. The date for the re-opening has not yet
CAW President Buzz Hargrove was on site for the announcement and said he
is still optimistic that the federal Tory government will finally realize the
importance of the project and put in their share. "There is a chance to grow
this program, if the federal government would do their part," said Hargrove.
"The fact that they have so far refused to support the auto industry is
incredibly frustrating and short-sighted."
The second phase of the project could employ another 300 workers.
Mike Vince, president of CAW Local 200, which represents Ford workers in
Windsor said that the investment is an exciting opportunity for the members
and the wider community which has been hard hit by massive job loss.
"It's something we have put a lot of time into and I'm happy to see that
it has finally happened. After some very negative circumstances over the past
few years, this announcement is a very welcome light at the end of the
Windsor has the second highest unemployment rate of any city in Canada at
8.7 per cent.
For further information:
For further information: CAW Communications Shannon Devine, (cell) (416)