TORONTO, Aug. 10 /CNW/ - It is with sadness that the City of Toronto
confirms the passing of a 25 year veteran fire fighter of the Toronto Fire
District Chief Bob Leek was found vital signs absent today while
assisting with emergency operations during the explosion and fire at the
Sunrise Propane facility at 54 Murray Road.
CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) was immediately performed by Fire
and Toronto Emergency Medical Services crews and District Chief Leek was
quickly transported to Humber River Regional Hospital, Church Street Site.
Hospital staff worked to save him but unfortunately it was too late to save
him. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Bob started with the Toronto Fire Department on June 27, 1983. He worked
his way up from firefighter to District Chief of Emergency Planning on
January 9, 2006.
"On behalf of all Torontonians, I want to express deepest sympathies and
condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of District Chief Leek,"
said Mayor David Miller. "His years of dedicated service to the city are truly
appreciated and stand as a testament to the excellence of Toronto Fire
Services and indeed our entire public service."
Fire Chief William Stewart is deeply saddened with the loss of one of his
firefighters. "Bob was a dedicated member of the Toronto Fire Services. His
contribution to public safety and emergency planning was in the interests of
the citizens of Toronto," the Chief stated. "Bob will be missed by the members
of the Service. On behalf of all members, I offer our condolences to the Leek
family on this tragic loss."
Bob Leek was 55 years of age.
Visit our website at www.toronto.ca
For further information:
For further information: Kevin Sack, Director, Strategic Communications,
(416) 919-6500 (cell)