TORONTO, Feb. 12 /CNW/ - During the winter it is important to keep snow
and ice from building up and covering your gas meter and the external vent
pipes of natural gas furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters and clothes dryers.
- Check the gas meter and appliance vent pipes regularly to ensure
there is no build-up of ice or snow.
- Repair leaky seams in eaves troughs or downspouts and remove any
icicles to ensure dripping water does not splash and freeze on the
meter or vent pipe.
- If you notice your meter or appliance vent pipe is covered with snow,
please remove the snow carefully with either a brush or broom. Do not
scrape your meter or vent pipe with a sharp instrument.
- Do not shovel, plow or blow snow up against the gas meter or piping.
- Be careful not to bump your gas meter with a snow blower.
- Never kick your gas meter or vent pipes in an attempt to clear ice
- For more general safety information visit uniongas.com/safety
Keeping your gas meter and vent pipes clear of snow and ice helps ensure
that both the meter and your natural gas appliances function properly and also
allows us to read the meter accurately.
If you see ice build-up and suspect there is a problem, or for any other
gas emergency, call us at 1 877 969-0999.
For further information:
For further information: Andrea Stass, Phone: (519) 436-5490