TORONTO, Nov. 15 /CNW/ - HR professionals attending HRPAO's 3rd Annual
Emergency Preparedness Conference, at the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, will
take away an important lesson: HR plays a critical and strategic role in
emergency planning and maintaining business continuity.
While the Golden Horseshoe hasn't recently experienced a health crisis or
natural disaster, the experts presenting at the conference agree that business
leaders must be proactive in planning for any possibility.
"On August 14, 2003, the northeastern seaboard was hit with the largest
blackout in North American history," says HRPAO CEO Bill Greenhalgh. "A level
of panic ensued because many organizations were not prepared. HR professionals
attending this conference will take away the proven skills to build solid
continuity plans. Staying afloat in times of crisis is strategically
The 3rd Annual Emergency Preparedness Conference assembles some of the
top experts in crisis planning and employment law.
Dr. Mark Goldberg, president and CEO of GlobalTox International
Laurie M. Martin, president, Life Interrupted Inc., and author of
Life Interrupted: Your Guide to Understanding People in Crisis.
Michael G. Sherrard, partner with Sherrard Kuzz LLP in Toronto, is
back by popular demand.
The top five tools that conference delegates will learn:
- Understand the true meaning of "crisis"
- Learn the best practices for pandemic preparedness
- Learn why and how to create a Frontline Intervention Response
Support Team (F.I.R.S.T.)
- Learn how to effectively communicate during and after a crisis
- Understand your legal rights and obligations as an employer and as
Here's what last year's delegates said about this popular conference:
- "The greatest value was gaining a better understanding and urgency
of developing a pandemic Business Continuity Plan as well as
establishing an effective communication strategy."
- "Great information about preparing for a crisis and what to expect
when it happens."
- "I now understand the entire impact a pandemic can have on a
- "It motivated me to review our current Business Continuity Plan and
shape it to the material from this conference."
- "It gives you a good running start to get plans moving on the right
For more information, visit www.hrpao.org/fallodc.
The Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO) is
Canada's HR thought leader with more than 16,000 members in 28 chapters in
Ontario and other locations across Canada and around the world. HRPAO is
internationally recognized for its knowledge, innovation and leadership. HRPAO
connects its membership to an unmatched range of HR information resources,
events, professional development and networking opportunities. It annually
hosts the world's second largest HR conference. HRPAO grants the Certified
Human Resources Professional (CHRP(TM)) designation, the national standard for
excellence in human resources management.
For further information:
For further information: Sarah Twomey, Media Relations Specialist,
firstname.lastname@example.org, (416) 923-2324, ext. 346