TORONTO, Jan. 5 /CNW/ - Bennett Jones LLP, one of Canada's leading
business law firms, is pleased to announce that Michael Kergin, former
Ambassador of Canada to the United States of America (2000 - 2005), has joined
the firm as Senior Advisor.
Mr. Kergin has had a distinguished career in public service, which began
when he joined the Department of External Affairs (now the Department of
Foreign Affairs). He held various positions at the Foreign Affairs Department
including Senior Policy Advisor to the Minister, Assistant Deputy Minister
variously for International Organisations, Intelligence and Security and
Americas. In 1998, the Prime Minister asked him to serve as his Foreign Policy
Advisor and Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet for Foreign and Defence Policy.
On leaving the Federal Government in 2005, Mr. Kergin was appointed by Premier
McGuinty to act as the Special Advisor on Border Issues. He was later
appointed Negotiator for Ontario in the Softwood Lumber dispute with the USA.
Mr. Kergin is also a Senior Fellow of the US Chamber of Commerce.
Says Hugh MacKinnon, Chairman and CEO of Bennett Jones, "We are delighted
to have Michael Kergin join the firm. His experience and understanding of
public policy, foreign affairs issues and Canada-US border relations will be a
tremendous asset to our clients and our new Public Policy Group."
Bennett Jones recently developed an in-house Public Policy Group to
complement its leading business law practice in Alberta and Toronto. Members
of the group include:
- Paul Cantor, Chairman of the Public Sector Pension Investment Board
and Chair of York University;
- David Dodge, former Governor of the Bank of Canada;
- Mohammad Fadel, University of Toronto Law Professor and the firm's
Islamic Finance expert;
- Eddie Goldenberg, former Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister;
- Allan Gotlieb, former Canadian Ambassador to the United States;
- Michael Kergin, former Canadian Ambassador to the United States;
- Peter Lougheed, former Premier of Alberta;
- Jack Major, former Supreme Court of Canada Justice;
- Andrei Marcu, former President and CEO of the International Emissions
- Anne McLellan, former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada;
- Paul Moore, former Vice-Chair Ontario Securities Commission; and
- Steve Sibold, former Chair Alberta Securities Commission.
Also joining the firm's Public Policy Group in early 2009 is Sheridan
Scott, former Commissioner of the Competition Bureau of Canada and Chair of
the International Competition Network.
On joining Bennett Jones, Mr. Kergin said, "I am greatly pleased to join
Bennett Jones' distinguished Public Policy Group, and to assist in advising
the firm's clients on matters relating to the United States and
internationally, especially at this critical time."
Mr. Kergin will join David Dodge, Eddie Goldenberg, Sheridan Scott and
John Jussup in the firm's Ottawa office, which will formally open in new
office space overlooking Parliament Hill in early 2009.
About Bennett Jones LLP:
Bennett Jones is a leading business law firm founded and focused on
principles of professional excellence, integrity, respect, and independent
thought. Our firm's leadership position is reflected in the law we practice,
the groundbreaking work we do, the client relationships we have, and the
quality of our people.
For further information:
For further information: Hugh MacKinnon, Chairman and Chief Executive
Officer, Bennett Jones LLP, T: (416) 777-4810