TORONTO, Sept. 12 /CNW/ - Today, Dalton McGuinty's health minister George
Smitherman down-played the seriousness of Ontario's doctor shortage and Dalton
McGuinty claimed he's making progress on the doctor shortage.
Here are the facts:
- In 2003, Dalton McGuinty's platform cited the Ontario Medical
Association stating, "our severe doctor shortage affects nearly
one million people." (Ontario Liberal Platform 2003, Section 4,
- In 2007, the Ontario Medical Association says the number of people
without a family doctor has grown since 2003 as there are one million
adults without a family doctor in Ontario today as well as 130,000
- In 2003, Dalton McGuinty stated in his platform that there were 122
communities underserviced for family doctors. (Ontario Liberal
Platform 2003, Section 4, page 12)
- In 2007, there are 142 communities underserviced for family doctors.
- There were 50% fewer family doctors accepting new patients in 2006
than in 2003. (College of Physicians and Surgeons, March 2007)
Who are you going to believe?
For further information:
For further information: Mike Van Soelen, (647) 722-1760