New pricing and a fuel-efficient fleet deliver record-breaking back-to-
TORONTO, June 3 /CNW/ - For the second straight month, Toyota Canada Inc.
(TCI) has achieved a new monthly sales record. Powered by record sales of
hybrid vehicles and the Canadian-built Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix and Lexus
RX 350, TCI sold 28,489 Toyota and Lexus cars and trucks in May, up
15.2 per cent from the same month last year.
Canadians purchased 26,664 Toyota vehicles in May, up 15.5 per cent
versus May 2007 to set a new monthly record.
- Toyota truck sales of 6,776 in May were up 14.4 per cent year over
year, to set a new May record.
- Toyota sold 19,888 passenger cars last month, up 15.8 per cent from
the same month in 2007 to establish an all-new record for best-ever
- New record month for Corolla: sales of the all-new, Canadian-built
compact up 35.2 per cent vs. May 2007, at 7,435.
- New record month for Matrix: sales of the all-new, Canadian-built
crossover up 5.5 per cent vs. May 2007, at 3,062.
Canadians purchased 1,825 Lexus luxury cars and SUVs in May, up
11.8 per cent from the same month last year to establish its best-ever month.
- Lexus sold 800 luxury SUVs in April, up 43.6 per cent over the same
month last year to set a new record for best-ever month, for the
second straight month.
- Lexus luxury passenger car sales of 1,025 in May were off 4.7 per cent
compared to May of 2007.
- New record month for the Canadian-built Lexus RX 350: sales reached
548 in May, up 37.7 per cent vs. May 2007.
Canadians purchased a record 2,213 hybrid vehicles (Toyota plus Lexus) to
help achieve a best-ever month, up 119.5 per cent vs. May 2007.
- Toyota hybrid passenger car sales of 1,839 represent 9.2 per cent of
all Toyota passenger cars sold in May.
- Second-straight best month for Camry Hybrid: sales up 91.3 per cent
vs. May 2007, at 1,016. First time a hybrid model has broken the
1,000-unit sales mark in a single month.
- Second-straight best month for the Prius hybrid: sales of 823 up
187.8 per cent vs. May 2007.
"As gasoline prices continue to rise, Canadians continue to take
advantage of our full range of fuel-efficient vehicles, including the
Canadian-built Toyota Corolla and Toyota Matrix," noted Tony Wearing, Managing
Director at TCI. "We're also proud that Canadians are turning to Toyota in
record numbers for our many fuel efficient, low emission gasoline-electric
"I'd like to thank our new and returning Canadian guests who have helped
Lexus achieve a new monthly record," said Yves Gionet, Director of Lexus in
Canada. "The Cambridge, Ontario-built RX 350 Luxury SUV continues to be our
most popular Canadian model, while the introduction of our new IS F high
performance sport sedan has generated renewed interest in our IS 250 and IS
For further information:
For further information: Sandy Di Felice, Director, External Affairs,
Toyota Canada Inc., (416) 431-8350, firstname.lastname@example.org