Event to boost braille and audiobook collection at one of world's largest
libraries for readers with vision loss
TORONTO, Sept. 13 /CNW/ - Dr. Myra Rodrigues will be kicking off her 65th
birthday with a bang - the bang of a starter's pistol.
Rodrigues, who lives with vision loss, is setting off on a year-long
series of half-marathon power-walks in every province and territory across
Canada to raise funds for the CNIB Library.
"I've been involved with CNIB since the age of four - first as a client,
and now as a volunteer and Board member," says Rodrigues. "To celebrate my
65th birthday, I'd like to give back to the organization that has meant so
much to me."
Her adventure starts on September 16, 2007, with the Newfoundland
Provincial Marathon in St. John's and ends on September 28, 2008 in Toronto,
Ontario, with the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. Myra will then have
completed 13 half-marathons - all before her 66th birthday!
"Dr. Myra Rodrigues exemplifies CNIB's mission to 'promote vision health
and enhance independence for people with vision loss.'
"We hope Canadians will show their support by cheering Myra along her
route, and by giving generously to support our vision of a national, equitable
public library service for all Canadians with print disabilities," says Jim
Sanders, President and CEO, CNIB.
To make a donation and view the full event schedule, visit the Myra's
Marathon website at www.cnib.ca/myrasmarathon.
CNIB is a nationwide, community-based, registered charity committed to
research, public education and the vision health of all Canadians. CNIB
provides the services and support necessary to enjoy a good quality of life
while living with vision loss. To find out more, visit us online at
Calendar of Events
- Sunday, September 16, 2007: Newfoundland Provincial Marathon
St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Sunday, September 23, 2007: Marathon by the Sea
Saint John, New Brunswick
- Sunday, October 14, 2007: Prince Edward Island Marathon
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Sunday, April 20, 2008: Banque Scotia 21k de Montreal
- Sunday, May 4, 2008: BMO Bank of Montreal Vancouver Marathon
Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sunday, May 18, 2008: Blue Nose International Marathon
Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Sunday, June 15, 2008: Manitoba Marathon '08
- Saturday, June 21, 2008: Mayo Midnight Marathon
- Sunday, July 6, 2008: HSBC Calgary Marathon
- Tuesday, August 5, 2008: Northwest Passage Marathon
Somerset Island, Nunavut
- Sunday, August 17, 2008: Yellowknife Marathon
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- Sunday, September 14, 2008: SaskCentral Queen City Marathon
- Sunday, September 28, 2008: Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
For further information:
For further information: Daniela Rodrigo, National Manager, Community
Development, CNIB, Phone: (416) 486-2500, ext. 7031, Email:
Daniela.email@example.com; Media enquiries: Jessica Parrales, Communications
Coordinator, CNIB, Phone: (416) 486-2500, ext. 7570, Email: