Only 15% of young Canadians claim to abstain, and the average reported
levels of drinking may surprise you!
TORONTO, May 14 /CNW/ - Birds chirping, flowers blooming and young
people's hearts and minds turn to getting away for the May long weekend and
partying their ass off - it is May TWO-FOUR after all! And we don't blame them
However, we at Youthography do make it our business to know what they're
up to... so here's a little insight into the party and entertainment habits of
your average LDA-29 year old (that's legal drinking age, if you weren't sure)
as ascertained via newly released national survey data from our quarterly Ping
survey of young Canadians.
The first thing you might want to know is how many of them like to drink
alcohol: 15% of LDA-29 year olds claim to abstain, leaving the 85% to pick up
the slack. Their preferred drinks, by percentage who have imbibed any drinks
over the last 3 month are as such:
Total Female Male
Beer 64% 54% 77%
Vodka 47% 52% 42%
Red wine 42% 43% 40%
White wine 36% 40% 30%
Rum 32% 30% 35%
Cooler 30% 40% 17%
Tequila 22% 21% 23%
Rye 18% 12% 26%
Rose wine 16% 21% 10%
Irish Cream 15% 16% 13%
Beer is clearly the most popular but the cumulative amount of wine
drinking is a significant portion of their consumption mix, driven largely by
females. We said "consumption mix" - if you add up the totals here we see
figures at over 300%; meaning young Canadians continue to drink a lot of
The most popular spirits are Vodka and Rum, and that great Canadian
favourite Rye Whiskey is number 8 on our list. There is a great divide between
males and females with regards to beer (lead by males) and coolers (or
"alcopops") dominated by the female drinker.
As for how much they are drinking, the typical person LDA to 29 consumes
an average of 4.2 drinks a week (using the standard 12oz beer/5oz wine/1oz of
liquor measurement). When we examine the breaks between the various
categories, we also learn some interesting facts:
- Males drink nearly twice as much as females (5.7 vs. 3.0 drinks
- People age 25 to 29 drink more than 2 more drinks weekly than those
LDA-24 (5.4 vs. 3.2)
- And if you want to really dial it up, hang out with a 25-29 year old
Canadian male (averages 7.4 drinks weekly)
When asked specifically about beer consumption, our surveys have tracked
the same 6 brands in the top 6 for the last 9 months: (listed alphabetically)
Alexander Keith's, Budweiser, Coors Light, Corona, Heineken, Molson Canadian.
You may be wondering about those discount beers you see advertised all
the time. In our research with the LDA-29 cohort we've found that less than 9%
of these customers have bought them over the last 9 months. If those brands
are successful, it would likely be due to smaller numbers of consumers buying
higher volumes, not because of an explosion in popularity for these brands.
And finally, bringing it back to long weekends and having fun, we asked
them what three things they spend most of their money on in a typical month:
Dining out (restaurant) 34%
Clothing or accessories 27%
Mobile phone 24%
Dining out (fast food) 24%
Trips or holidays 10%
No wonder they love the long weekend: they've been practicing all year.
Thanks Queen Victoria!
The sample for this study was 924, accurate +/- 3.2%, 19 times out of 20.
Youthography (www.Youthography.com) is North America's most significant
full-service research and marketing communications agency dedicated
exclusively to youth culture (ages 9-34). Youthography melds its exhaustive
demographic-focused insight with disciplined brand and cultural strategy to
help powerhouse brands (including McDonald's, American Eagle Outfitters,
Motorola, Mattel and Microsoft), and cultural and political institutions,
understand and communicate with tweens, teens and young adults.
Grounded in research, Youthography delivers timely, market-critical
insight on current/emerging trends with: Forward, a bi-weekly newsletter;
PlayList, a monthly bulletin featuring music trends, important indicators of
contemporary youth culture; and its flagship research engine, Ping(TM), a
suite of syndicated cultural and consumer trend reports that serve both the
American and Canadian markets.
For further information:
For further information: on Youthography's Ping(TM) surveys, including
additional statistics and strategic insight regarding young Canadians and
they're drinking habits, please contact: Meredith Harren, Supervisor,
Experiential Marketing, Meredith@youthography.com, (416) 204-1256 x279