TORONTO, Sept. 17 /CNW Telbec/ - The National Quality Institute is
pleased to announce that 21 Canadian organizations will receive awards for
outstanding achievements in quality, customer service, and a healthy
Kevin Dougherty, Board Chairman of the National Quality Institute and
President of Sun Life Financial, Canada, says "the award recipients represent
outstanding role models of effectiveness and leadership." Mr. Dougherty added
that "the recipients, and more than 270 members of the National Quality
Institute, are making a positive impact on the growth of the Canadian
"The Canada Awards for Excellence is an annual awards program to
recognize business excellence in quality, customer service, and a healthy
workplace. Since 1984, the awards have been presented to private and public
sector organizations of all sizes that are world class," says Allan Ebedes,
President and CEO of the National Quality Institute.
In 2004, the Small Business and Education awards categories were added,
and in 2006 the Order of Excellence was introduced.
Her Excellency, the Right Honourable Michaelle Jean, is the Vice-Regal
Patron of the Canada Awards for Excellence.
About The National Quality Institute
The National Quality Institute is a not-for-profit, independent
organization whose goal is to help Canadian private and public sector
organizations to implement programs of excellence. The National Quality
Institute works with organizations to manage self-assessment activities,
review business processes, and develop improvement programs. Today, Canadian
organizations and businesses increasingly recognize that a healthy workplace
helps to attract and retain staff.
Awards Presentation at the 2007 Performance Excellence Summit
The awards will be presented at the 2007 Performance Excellence Summit
awards dinner on Wednesday, October 24 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
RECIPIENTS OF THE 2007 23RD CANADA AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
ORDER OF EXCELLENCE AWARD
This is the highest level of recognition presented by the National
The following organizations have successfully maintained a focus on
excellence over the long term.
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Nova
Scotia - Quality
- Delta Hotels, Canada - Quality
- Statistics Canada, Ottawa, Ontario - Healthy Workplace(R)
This award is based on the Canadian Framework for Excellence, which is
used by numerous organizations as a management model for continuous
improvement and the achievement of significant operational results. These
awards will be presented by Sun Life Financial, Canada.
To receive the Gold Trophy, organizations must have fully met the National
Quality Institute's quality criteria, with documented overall achievements and
results. To receive Silver and Bronze recognition, organizations must be at
the equivalent of Level 3 in the National Quality Institute's Progressive
The National Quality Institute's Progressive Excellence Program
(NQI PEP(R)) is a target-driven, incremental approach to applying excellence
- College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia, Halifax,
Nova Scotia - Gold Trophy
- Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, Vancouver, British
Columbia - Gold Trophy
- Ricoh Canada Inc., Mississauga, Ontario - Gold Trophy
- Toronto Transit Commission - Information Technology Services
Department, Toronto, Ontario - Gold Trophy
- Alberta Seniors and Community Supports' - "Office of the Public
Guardian", Alberta - Silver Award
- Alberta Seniors and Community Supports' - "Persons with Developmental
Disabilities (PDD) - Central Region Community Board', Alberta - Silver
- Canada-Ontario Business Service Centre, Toronto, Ontario - Silver Award
- The City of Prince George, Prince George, British Columbia - Silver
- The Ontario Ministry of Northern Development and Mines, Sudbury,
Ontario - Silver Award
- Ontario Service Safety Alliance, Mississauga, Ontario - Silver Award
- Pulp and Paper Health and Safety Association, North Bay,
Ontario - Silver Award
- Alberta Seniors and Community Supports' - "Alberta Aids to Daily Living
- Achieving Excellence", Alberta - Bronze Award
- Alberta Solicitor General & Public Security's - "The Bridges Treatment
Program", Alberta - Bronze Award
- ASRC Energy Services - Tri Ocean Engineering Ltd., Calgary,
Alberta - Bronze Award
- Alberta Employment, Immigration & Industry and Alberta Seniors &
Community Supports' - "Health Benefits Review Committee",
Alberta - Bronze Award
CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARD FOR SMALL BUSINESS
This award recognizes excellence in organizations with less than
50 employees, and is based on the National Quality Institute's Quality
Criteria for Small Business. Presented by Ricoh Canada Inc.
- Histovet Surgical Pathology, Guelph, Ontario - Gold Trophy
ORGANIZATIONAL QUALITY AND WELLNESS AWARD
This award is based on the National Quality Institute's Criteria for
Excellence in the Canadian Framework for Business Excellence, and the Canadian
Healthy Workplace(R) Criteria Framework. Presented by Great-West Life, London
Life, and Canada Life.
- Trillium Health Centre, Toronto, Ontario - Silver Award
CANADA AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE: COMMUNITY BUILDING AWARD
This is a new award category that recognizes a community-wide project that
promotes and reinforces excellence, led by local government.
- Community Quality Improvement (CQI), Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario - Silver
RECOGNITION OF ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
The Board of Governors of the National Quality Institute will present a
Recognition of Achievement Award to the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, whose
government founded the National Quality Institute in 1992.
Jim Balsillie, and Mike Lazaridis, Co-CEOs of Research In Motion Inc.
(RIM), will receive a Recognition of Achievement Award for their contributions
to business excellence.
The 2007 Summit will also feature presentations by some of Canada's
best-managed organizations, and a keynote address by Linda Lundstrvm,
President and Chief Creative Officer, Linda Lundstrvm Inc.
For further information:
For further information: Kevin Dougherty, Board Chairman of the National
Quality Institute, c/o Yvonne D'Souza, Sun Life Financial, Canada, (416)
408-7749, email@example.com; Allan Ebedes, President and CEO, National
Quality Institute, 1-800-263-9648, ext 233, (416) 251-7600, ext. 233,