The College of Family Physicians of Canada takes action to improve access to care for patients in Canada



    
               Targets: 95% to have a family physician by 2012
     Every Canadian should have access to a personal family physician and
                 a registered nurse and/or nurse practitioner
    

    WINNIPEG, Oct. 11 /CNW/ - At the annual Family Medicine Forum underway in
Winnipeg, The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) today announced
progressive steps to improve access to care for all patients in Canada. This
includes specific goals to improve primary care wait times, access to family
physicians, and inter-professional collaboration between family doctors and
nurses.
    A Decima research poll commissioned by the CFPC and released today,
confirms that 86% of Canadians have a family doctor. This leaves 14%, or
approximately five million(*) Canadians still without a family doctor. Of this
number, more than two million (41%) have tried to find a family doctor and
were not successful.
    "Evidence strongly supports better health outcomes for those with access
to family physicians, states Dr. Tom Bailey, CFPC President. "The CFPC
believes that every Canadian should have a personal family physician. To this
end we are challenging all governments and health authorities to increase the
current 86% of Canadians with a family doctor to a target of 95% in every
community across the country to have a personal family physician by 2012."
    "A target of 95% by 2012 will move us closer to more timely access to
primary care for patients as well as more highly specialized services to which
patients may be referred," adds Dr. Calvin Gutkin, CFPC Executive Director and
CEO. "Ensuring timely access must reflect the patient's full wait time
experience. It begins with every Canadian having a family doctor. The CFPC
believes that this target can be achieved by working with governments and
other key stakeholders to implement strategies for family physician training,
recruitment and retention."
    "A key strategy to improving access to care will be enhanced support for
collaborative care," says Dr. Ruth Wilson, the CFPC's President-elect. "Today
the CFPC and the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) are pleased to announce
their agreement to a vision for improved access to care - a vision that offers
each Canadian the opportunity to have care provided by his or her personal
family physician working together with a registered nurse and/or nurse
practitioner."
    "It is all about Canadians having the right provider at the right time,"
says Kaaren Neufeld, CNA President-elect. "CNA is pleased to join the CFPC
today in releasing an historic joint Vision Statement on improving access to
collaborative inter-professional care in family practice and primary care
settings which will have positive impacts on patient access to the health
system."

    About CFPC
    ----------
    The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) is the voice of family
medicine in Canada. Representing 19,450 members across the country, it is the
professional organization responsible for establishing standards for the
training, certification and lifelong education of family physicians and for
advocating on behalf of the specialty of family medicine, family physicians
and their patients. The CFPC accredits postgraduate family medicine training
in Canada's 17 medical schools.

    (*) Using the estimated Canadian population of 32 million (as reported by
Stats Canada) the CFPC has inferred that based on 14% approximately 5 million
Canadians are without a family doctor.

    Survey Information

    Between August 22 and September 4, 2007, Decima Research Inc. conducted a
national telephone survey of 2,014 Canadians over the age of 18 years. This
survey has a confidence level of +/- 2.2% 19 times out of 20.

    (disponible en français)





For further information:

For further information: Joanna Wilson, Edelman Canada, Winnipeg
Convention Centre, Media Centre: (204) 957-4370, Mobile: (416) 564-1106
(Mobile), joanna.wilson@edelman.com; Jayne Johnston, Communications Manager,
CFPC, Winnipeg Convention Centre, Media Centre: (204) 957-4370, Mobile: (905)
407-9140, jjohnston@cfpc.ca, www.cfpc.ca; For French inquiries: Alexandra
Menear, Senior Account Executive, (514) 844-6665, ext. 226,
Alexandra.Menear@edelman.com; Tina Grznar, Communications Specialist, Canadian
Nurses Association, Winnipeg Convention Centre, Media Centre: (204) 957-4370,
Mobile: (613) 240-7830, tgrznar@cna-aiic.ca

Organization Profile

College of Family Physicians of Canada

More on this organization


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890