TORONTO, Oct. 1 /CNW/ - Toyota Canada today introduced the 2008 Toyota
4Runner, enhancing this intermediate SUV's compelling combination of power and
refinement with new standard safety features on all models.
"The 4Runner is the Toyota with the go-anywhere attitude - whether that's
a night on the town, a ballgame or the backwoods. Getting where you want to be
is easy thanks to a choice of two muscular powertrains and a roomy,
comfortable, versatile interior," said Tony Wearing, Managing Director of
Toyota Canada Inc. "This year, we make things better with additional airbags
fitted as standard safety equipment on all models."
For 2008, the Toyota 4Runner is available with a choice of powertrains
and trim levels to suit every taste and budget.
The 4Runner SR5 V6 includes as standard many convenience, comfort, luxury
and safety features, such as:
- Standard front seat mounted side airbags and roll-sensing front and
rear head and side curtain airbags.
- An AM/FM stereo/CD player with MP3 capability, audio auxiliary input
jack and six speakers;
- Air conditioning with automatic temperature control, cabin air filter
and rear seat heater ducts;
- A 60/40 split fold down rear bench seat with fold-down centre
armrest, fold-down seat back and rear seat foldable cushions;
- Power door locks and power tailgate lock with keyless entry and trunk
- Power windows with driver's side auto up/down function, and power
rear hatch window with auto up function and jam protection;
- Instrumentation that includes a multi-information display, tachometer
and outside temperature gauge, plus metallic dash accents;
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, illuminated entry, and illuminated
- Tilt steering;
- Interior trunk/cargo access plus tonneau cover;
- Ample cabin storage space, including a centre console box with
armrest, glove box, front seat back pockets, overhead sunglass
storage, driver's coin compartment, cargo area side storage
compartments, and door map pockets;
- Cruise control;
- Digital clock;
- Engine immobilizer;
- Retained accessory power;
- P265/70R16 all season radials on 16" aluminium alloy wheels with
wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Dual, power remote, foldable exterior mirrors;
- High solar energy-absorbing window glass, including privacy glass;
- A go-anywhere exterior including engine, fuel tank and transfer case
protector plates, running boards, front and rear splash guards,
colour keyed fender flares, bumpers, bodyside cladding and door
handles, rear step bumper with protector, chrome grille, and towing
hitch with 7-pin trailer wire harness;
- Variable intermittent wipers with intermittent rear window
- Reflector-style halogen headlamps with auto headlamp cancel system
and fog lamps.
The 4Runner SR5 V6 may be fitted with a Sport Package that adds several
performance, comfort, style and convenience features, including:
- Telescopic steering column;
- X-REAS sport suspension
- P265/65R17 mud and snow tires with raised white lettering on 17"
aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Larger diameter front ventilated disc brakes;
- In-dash six disc CD changer and steering wheel mounted audio system
- Power driver and front passenger seats;
- Two-tone premium cloth seat surfaces;
- Integrated garage door;
- Power moon roof;
- Colour-keyed and heated exterior mirrors;
- Front skid plate;
- Hood scoop;
- Silver painted roof rack;
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob;
- Double decker cargo floor;
- Anti-theft system.
The 4Runner Limited - available with either a V6 or V8 powertrain -
features many upgraded standard features to create a top of the line
intermediate SUV. On top of many of the same features found on the SR5 V6,
additional or upgraded features include the following:
- A premium JBL audio system featuring AM/FM stereo/in-dash six-disc CD
changer with MP3 audio capability, audio auxiliary input jack, the
Radio Data System, an integrated Audio Security System, 10-speakers,
and steering wheel-mounted audio system controls;
- Automatic air conditioning with dual-zone automatic temperature
control, cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- Leather seat surfaces and simulated leather door trim;
- Power, heated driver and front passenger seats with driver seat
- Key lockout protection, keyless entry with trunk release;
- Electro-chromatic rear view mirror with integrated digital compass;
- Double decker cargo floor;
- Telescopic/tilt steering column;
- Integrated garage door opener;
- 115 volt accessory power outlet and retained accessory power feature;
- P265/60R18 all season radials on 18" aluminium alloy wheels with
wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Anti-theft system;
- Dual, heated, power remote, foldable exterior mirrors;
- Light control system;
- Roof rack;
- Colour-keyed rear spoiler;
- Power moon roof.
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is now on sale at Toyota dealers across Canada.
The Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price
starting at $40,580, while the suggested price for the Toyota 4Runner Limited
V6 starts at $49,950, and the Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 starts at a suggested
Digital images available upon request.
2008 TOYOTA 4RUNNER - PRODUCT DETAIL
Ample power for on and off the road
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is available with a choice of two engines.
The SR5 V6 and Limited V6 models are equipped with a capable and
efficient 4.0-litre V6 with dual overhead cams, 24 valves, variable valve
timing with intelligence and sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection.
This engine produces up to 236 HP @ 5,200 RPM and up to 206 lb-ft of torque @
4,000 RPM, and 4Runners so equipped have a fuel efficiency rating of
13.5L/100km in the city and 10.2L/100km on the highway.
The Limited V8 is fitted with a powerful 4.7-litre V8 with dual overhead
cams, 32 valves, variable valve timing with intelligence, sequential
multi-port electronic fuel injection and an engine oil cooler. This engine
produces up to 260 HP @ 5,400 RPM and up to 306 lb-ft of torque @ 3,400 RPM,
and helps the 4Runner Limited V8 achieve a fuel efficiency rating of
14.6L/100km in the city and 11.3L/100km on the highway.
Regardless of engine size, all 4Runner powertrains are enhanced with a
heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, and a stainless steel
exhaust system, and all qualify as Tier ll Bin 5 vehicles.
Handling and control
All 2008 Toyota 4Runners feature a five-speed automatic, super
electronically controlled transmission with overdrive, overdrive cancel
switch, lock up torque converter and transmission cooler. Models with the V6
engine feature a multi-mode one-touch four-wheel drive system and an automatic
disconnecting differential, while the Limited V8 has full time four-wheel
drive with a centre differential lock and two-speed transfer case.
All models are standard equipped with a number of handling and control
technologies, including Toyota's Vehicle Stability Control, Hill-start Assist
Control, Downhill Assist Control, and active traction control systems.
All 4Runner models are equipped with an independent double-wishbone front
suspension that features gas shock absorbers, coil springs and a stabilizer
The 4Runner SR5 V6 is standard equipped with a four-link rear suspension
featuring gas shock absorbers, coil springs and a stabilizer bar, while those
models with the Sport Package have an X-REAS Sport Suspension fitted on the
rear. This combination is also found on the 4Runner Limited V6, while the
4Runner Limited V8 adds a rear air suspension.
The 4Runner's go-anywhere ability is perfectly matched to its
stop-anywhere braking power, delivered via power assisted front ventilated
disc and rear disc brakes enhanced by Toyota's Antilock Braking System with
Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist technologies. The 4Runner
SR5 V6 with the Sport Package benefits from larger diameter front ventilated
All 2008 Toyota 4Runners are equipped with full-size spare tires, and
aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks. The 4Runner SR5 V6 rides on
P265/70R16 all season radial tires, while models equipped with the Sport
Package are equipped with P265/65R17 mud and snow tires with distinctive
raised white lettering. The Limited models - in both V6 and V8 engine sizes -
ride on P265/60R18 all season radial tires.
Comfort and safety
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner features a roomy, versatile and safe interior for
a combination of up to five adults and up to 75 cubic feet of cargo.
Standard safety systems include dual stage driver and front passenger
airbags and - now as standard equipment on all models - front seat mounted
side airbags and roll-sensing front and rear head/side curtain airbags.
Three-point lap and shoulder seatbelts are fitted in all passenger positions,
and include adjustable "B" pillar shoulder belt anchors as well as
pre-tensioners and force limiters for the front seating positions. Younger
occupants are protected with anchor points for child-restraint seats and rear
door child protector locks.
Customers may personalize their 2008 4Runner using the Vehicle
Configurator on Toyota Canada's web site (www.toyota.ca) or in any Toyota
Dealership across Canada.
Peace of mind
The 2008 4Runner is provided with Toyota's no deductible, no transfer
fee, comprehensive warranty that covers the entire vehicle for three
years/60,000 kilometres. Power train components are covered for five
years/100,000 kilometres, major emission control components are covered for
eight years/130,000 kilometres and corrosion perforation for five years with
Toyota also provides 24-hour Roadside Assistance for all models. Help is
just a phone call away at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. Roadside emergency services include
battery boost, lockout service, fuel delivery, tire change, winching, and even
towing. Optional Extra-Care Protection (ECP) is also available, which includes
travel planning and trip interruption assistance, vehicle rental help,
lubrication maintenance, and mechanical protection of 17 major mechanical
component groups for up to six years/200,000 kilometres.
For further information:
For further information: please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact:
Kathryn Ruhland, Public Relations Manager, Toyota Canada Inc., (416) 431-8333