Telephone survey of 1300 Canadians
MONTREAL, Jan. 27 /CNW Telbec/ -
- The economy and jobs are the number one priority for Canadians.
- Health is more of a concern in Québec than in the other provinces.
- Elsewhere in Canada, health and the environment are equally important.
- The deficit and the debt are not rated top priorities.
- What should be the priority for governments at this time?
- In response, one out of two Canadians (47%) say that governments should
be focusing on the economy and jobs. Two out of three Canadians (65%)
rank the economy and jobs as their first or second priority.
- This is what a recent survey by research firm Multi Réso found when it
polled 1,300 Canadians. Respondents were asked to choose their first
and second priorities.
- The findings also suggest that Canadians do not want their governments
to ignore health and the environment in efforts to jump start the
economy. Health is one of the top two priorities for 42% of Canadians,
followed closely by the environment, with 38%.
- In descending order of importance come education (24%), government
finance and the debt (14%) and social inequities (8%).
- Since only 6% of respondents selected country-wide security as a top
priority, it seems that Canadians are not unduly worried about this
- The findings also show that there are significant regional differences.
The citizens of Québec, Ontario and the four Western provinces have
- In their top two priorities, Quebecers indicate they are more concerned
about health (62%) than the economy and jobs (53%). Ontarians say the
opposite: the economy and jobs dominate strongly (70%) over health
(38%). Citizens in the Western provinces are concerned about the
economy and jobs (68%) like the other regions, but put more emphasis on
government finance and the debt (20%) than other Canadians.
- The findings suggest that a good part of the population is not feeling
the impact of the economic crisis or is not worried about the impacts
at this time. About a third of Canadians (31%) and half of Quebecers
(47%) do not rank the economy and jobs as either their first or second
- Opinion poll conducted in Canada from January 17 - 24, 2009.
- 1300 respondents, aged 18 or over, distributed among all provinces.
- Weighted by age group, sex and province.
- Margin of error: 2.7 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, based on
all 1300 respondents.
The link to the survey graphs and tables that present the main findings
of the survey : <a href="http://files.newswire.ca/780/Graph_English.pdf">http://files.newswire.ca/780/Graph_English.pdf</a>
Multi Réso is a Montreal-based marketing research firm founded in 1971.
Its clientele is primarily drawn from medium and large businesses in consumer
products, services and energy.
For further information:
For further information: Daniel Lemieux, Consultant - Marketing
Research, (514) 285-6446, Cell.: (514) 217-5093, email@example.com; Multi
Réso, (514) 285-6446, firstname.lastname@example.org; www.multireso.com